Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
The first thought that comes to mind is are your line counter reels full? The biggest mistake we were making our first year trolling was that we just filled reels with a 220 or maybe 330 yd rolls of line and expected to run the right depth because we just didn't know any better. The line counter must be filled completely and then checked 100' on the counter versus 100' on a tape measurer. That done wonders for our fish count because now we are actually running the same depth as everyone else now.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
923 Posts
If I were you and struggling I would stick to dipsy program for starters. Get at least 4 linecounters with 1/2 20lb mono backing and 30LB braid till full. 4 dipsy's and 4 rods. Tie up leaders out of 30LB mono for over there 8' long swivels one end and a good crosslock on the other or just another good swivel. Buy 4 double willow harnesses for attaching to your leaders. purples and pinks been good producers. One dipsy for each side set on a #3 one for each side set on #1 make sure you play with the dipsy's with no leader or lure just to see and feel how they pop. Adjust tension screw to your liking for waves you are in. Sometimes new dipsy's need sanding where popper slides in and out. Make sure you are using the right #3 #1 on each side of boat they should pull away from boat farther on 3 that rod goes toward bow of boat and the #1's go away from the boat just not as much more to the stern. Put your leaders on and your lures worm up make sure swimming nice in water and let them out slowly using the clicker. drop your #3's to 110-150 and your #1 's to 90 to 110. Troll with the waves using bags if needed to try and keep speed at 2mph. I would start in 74 fow if waves out of north and troll into 71 fow. If waves out of south start in 71 fow troll N to 74fow. Better to fish 4 rods good rather than 8 and not know whats going on with some. Another killer method is with small planer boards, inline sinkers and harnesses but thats a whole nother story. If you don't have big boards forget about running 50 jets just use dipsy's and the inline weight program someone will explain or you can do research on. If you do wanna run 50 jets you can flatline them out the back I guess. Good Luck to much info to share just keep tryin you will get em.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My program has been dipsys set at 3 130 to 175 back [email protected] 75 to 90 I have ran inline boards 3 oz back 150 to 175 back 10colors of lead core with RR all colors and blades with harness reels are full and calibrated just cant seem to find the fish speed has been 1.8 to 2.1 I have also ran 50tt with my tx44 boards 150 to 170 back

·
Registered
63 Posts
Talk to Jack at Snug Harbor Bait and Tackle, Despite the fact he looks like he wants to kill everyone... He usually puts me on fish when things slow down. Same with the old salt down at the sea wall bait shop. Snug Harbor # 440.539.3755

·
Registered
582 Posts
BeerBatter is spot on. Follow his instructions and you will catch fish. You did not mention what diameter line you are using. Secondly are you using GPS ground speed or water speed? If you know you are on fish you need to keep making adjustments to your presentations. Play with your speed, the currents may be different up top versus the bottom.

It's not rocket science but it can take a little time to figure out. And once you do, it will be a ton of fun.

I glanced at the Geneva post, it probably has a ton of good info as well.

·
Registered
152 Posts
June and up through mid-July were real slow for us out of Conny, couldn't pull together a program that consistently delivered and couldn't get a bite on a dipsey. Last year our dipseys really produced. Based on the recent radio chatter it sounded like it was real spotty for everyone. Went out of Ashtabula last weekend and did well in 72-75' of water running baits at 50' down. Been hearing things turned around at Conny as well.
An insight from my fishing last week, we ran 4 rods, 2 of which were dipseys. I finally got walleye on the dipsey, our last one of the day, when I switched out and went to a longer leader, 8'-9' long.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all help will have to just keep trying I was catching fish at Geneva ,just cant seem to get them to go at conny will try all things listed above
The Crab

·
Weekend Woodsmen
68 Posts
Thanks for all help will have to just keep trying I was catching fish at Geneva ,just cant seem to get them to go at conny will try all things listed above
The Crab
Keep your head up we have done just about anything wrong you can think of. The first year people were pulling fish all around us all day and we wouldn't catch anything because of depth usually. If I can't figure it out for a day I always start high in the water column and if you have the same setup on multiple poles, as most do, stagger the depth on each pole by what you think is about 5 feet and just start gradually dropping them deeper until you hit fish. Once you get a few on the same depth bring more poles there and start hammering them! Be careful doing that if you are running boards though that can get a little messy if you aren't careful!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks for all the detailed instructions Beer Batter and others. I also want to try trolling for those eyes near Conneaut. I also struck out last year at Conny with dipseys. I don't know it I had enough line out (need line counters) Everyone had some great advice with their experiences. You guys are the best to share info. hank you.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Thanks for all the detailed instructions Beer Batter and others. I also want to try trolling for those eyes near Conneaut. I also struck out last year at Conny with dipseys. I don't know it I had enough line out (need line counters) Everyone had some great advice with their experiences. You guys are the best to share info. hank you.
I fished for many years with out line counters....they make life much simpler but it can be done. If your running level winds (like pen 320's) it helps. But you need to have the same amount of line on comparable reels. And you need to know how much line comes off with each rap of the level wind. I would measure mine in the driveway. So for example, I knew that 17 raps on my 320's let out 170' of line. I kept a little chart on my boat for each rod and now much line came out. Fishing on Erie is more about being consistent than anything.

For example, one guy I fish with on his boat has a spot for every rod. If the middle rod on the planer board caught a fish with x line on the line counter, he puts it back out in the middle with the same amount of line on that counter even if he has to bring another line in to do it. I'm not that sadistic but then again, he catches more fish than I do. Good luck out there.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
598 Posts
Weight is very speed sensitive so inlines and dipseys will go deeper the slower and not as deep with more speed.
My typical speed lately has been 1.5 to 1.7 speed over ground at the ball is 1.5 so in current it changes
My leads have been 120 to 130 3 oz in lines when the fish are in the thermal Cline
Dipseys have been 3.5 setting 120 to 130
2 setting 94 to 108
If I was going 2 mph I'm sure my leads would be longer.. can't go much longer than I am hit bottom letting out.
You want to be always above them, if there really active they will come up along ways and will mark a lot up higher 35 40 down. But cold fronts have had them pinned down to the thermal Cline..
Goodluck. Mike Knippenberg

bigeyezcharters.com

1 - 17 of 17 Posts