Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Proud Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First trip to Erie this weekend. A few buddies and I will be targeting smallies mostly. We are planning to stay at Shade Acres Campground. Does anyone know how this campground is? Hopefully friendly, clean, and cheap. The lady I talked to sounded very nice. Is there a better choice for a PRIVATE campground?

Any tips on catching smallies would really help out. My first time on this big lake, I sure hope we catch something, anything!

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Treebass....people will repond if they know what part of Erie you are heading for.

I am totally clueless on where Shade Acres Campground is at.....and what part of Lake Erie you are fishing. The Ohio Erie shoreline is 200+ miles long.

·
Relaxing.
5,750 Posts
if memory serves me correct shady acres is a campground very close to Cedar point so he must be going out on erie somewhere close to sandusky would that be correct Treebass?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Shade Acres is in Port Clinton.It is a nice "fishermens" camp.I stayed there in April with buddies & will stay there more in the future.It would not be a place my wife would consider "nice",but for fishing it is excellent.Nice fish cleaning station also.6 of us(6 beds) stayed for 4 nights for less than 15.00/person/night (April rates).As far as the smallies go,I think anywhere around the islands holds smallies.I have caught several while trolling close to the islands for walleye.I am sure others will steer you in the right direction on that. Steve

·
Proud Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like shade Acres is the place for us. I should have mentioned it is near Port Clinton. We will be fishing the islands and any other hotspots we can find near there, I guess. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
My dad picked up 5 real nice smallies drifting off of Vermillion in 28 feet of water last Sunday. He was just dragging a jig with a Gulp minnow or Yamamoto body. One of them was also caught on an Erie Dearie tipped with nightcrawler. 1 was 5lbs, 2 were 4 lbs and 2 were 3lbs.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Treebass, can you get me a phone# for Shade Acres campground and any information you have about it.

I want to take my wife and son to Lake Erie this summer for a weekend fishing/camping trip. Just want to keep it simple,take a tent, etc. and need a place to launch my boat.

·
Feared by all that swim
806 Posts
I would run down to Ruggles Beach,it is close by and Smallmouth fishing is right in front near shore.I caught a 5 lber there last week,Fish were in 12-17' foot range than.There will be other boats so you can find productive spots.It was my first time there and it was easy to get on the rocks and find fish.It is about 10 miles east of sandusky off rt.2 I did best with drop shot and 3" yumdinger in green color

·
Feared by all that swim
806 Posts
I forgot to mention that we fished Kellys Island the next day and it was very clean water but no fish,we found a small shelf there on the west side and dropped the aqua-vu.We did see some bass but they were shutdown over there.It may have been the north wind that day?The fish we seen were on a 18'-20' shelf near rocks about 50 yards from shore

·
Proud Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info. We postponed the trip til early June 'cause of the 4-6 footers predicted. Maybe we will try Ruggles. Thanks

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
don't for get this part

Species Daily Limit Minimum Size
Largemouth, Smallmouth & Spotted Bass Illegal to possess (May 1 - June 29)

5 - (Singly or in combination; June 30 - April 30) 14 inches

·
Cowboy Charters
1,660 Posts
I would run down to Ruggles Beach,it is close by and Smallmouth fishing is right in front near shore.I caught a 5 lber there last week,Fish were in 12-17' foot range than.There will be other boats so you can find productive spots.It was my first time there and it was easy to get on the rocks and find fish.It is about 10 miles east of sandusky off rt.2 I did best with drop shot and 3" yumdinger in green color
If I take Rt 2 heading East, what is a good place to launch to fish Ruggles. I would like to bring my daughter out this weekend for a few smallies. If you can give directions that would be great.

·
TeamOGF
6,989 Posts
Launching at Cranberry Creek Marina will put you right on the Ruggles reefs. They are a little west of Vermilion.
Heres their link for directions... www.cranberrycreekmarina.com

Bob and Woody will know the latest info. and also be able to sell you anything you need in tackle or lures, and help with where to start fishing.

·
Cowboy Charters
1,660 Posts
Launching at Cranberry Creek Marina will put you right on the Ruggles reefs. They are a little west of Vermilion.
Heres their link for directions... www.cranberrycreekmarina.com

Bob and Woody will know the latest info. and also be able to sell you anything you need in tackle or lures, and help with where to start fishing.
Thanks for the info! Is Bob and Woody a bait store around there? If so where is at in relation to the ramp.

·
TeamOGF
6,989 Posts
No, Bob Hanko owns the marina, and Woody (Chris) runs the ramp, store, etc. there.
They are both usually around, and great guys. :B

1 - 17 of 17 Posts