close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

HELP!! I'm going to Florida...what do i do?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by leaky tiki, Jun 8, 2004.

1. leaky tiki

leaky tiki Fruitcake

i am going to clearwater beach...how do i fish>>>

what do i use?? I want to wade out and cast into the surf...any suggestions (PLEASE!)???

2. Hit the pier there. REAL GOOD FISHING.

I lived in Tampa for 6 years and fished there often. Evenings, over night, and sun up are great. I've seen BIG 7 ft plus sharks caught there, HUGE snook in the 30 pound class, loads of great eating sea trout, mackeral, man, just about anything that swims in salt water.

I wasn't real into fishing there the way I am now. I just had a medium spinning outfit with 10lb test line. Spray the reel good with WD40 or the salt water will eat it up.

I had a lot of great times there with my family and friends I made while down there. I always did best all the way out to the end and off to the left side, far corner. Lots of trout out there. Flounder too.

Go to Albertson's grocery store and buy squid for bait. It's cheaper than at the bait house.

Hope this helps you out.

Carl

3. Oh yeah, I tried wading out in the surf and fishing and all I got were small hammerhead sharks, pinfish, and grunts.

Good luck!

Carl

4. leaky tiki

leaky tiki Fruitcake

big daddy:

thanks!!!

the big pier right in the middle of the beach?

what do you do with the squid? cast out and tight line??
    reel in?

am i right in saying that if i'm fishing in the ocean from shore i don't need a license?

any other info i should know??

5. Yes. tight line with squid

6. Non-residents of Florida need a saltwater fishing license on the shore or in a boat. You do not need a license to fish from a pier that charges a fee to fish.

Tightlining is the most common method of fishing from a pier or in the surf. You can also cast and retrieve live shrimp using a popping cork for speckled trout, or bounce a lead head jig along the bottom tipped with a live or dead shrimp.

7. leaky tiki

leaky tiki Fruitcake

I'm leaving early tomorrow morn for tampa...

any last tidbits anyone wants to share on area fishing down there?

8. Good luck!!! Its a lot of fun fishing down here. You never know what you are going to catch!!!

Jason

9. leaky tiki

leaky tiki Fruitcake

hey...thanks for the advice everyone!

first night out on the pier (pier 61) in clearwater,

caught one small snook
    one flounder
    and a sheepshead
    and saw two dolphins under the pier (thought they were sharks at first!)

later on in the trip, fished in a canal (feeding out of tarpon lake) and saw a small shark caught and caught more sheepshead and lost a big fish i never saw (maybe a shark? a tarpon?)

it was fun...can't wait to go back!