help, i need shock collar for dog training!

Discussion in 'OGF Marketplace' started by fulks.13, Feb 20, 2009.

1. fulks.13

fulks.13

0   0   0

if anyone has a shock collar they are not using i would like to purchase to help train my new hunting dog, i would certainly appreciate the help!!!

or if you have heard of any good deals in the stores, let me know. i just can't afford what i've seen so far.

thanks!

2. labman

labman

0   0   0

i dont know what you are looking for but go to swapgiant.com look at ohio under sporting goods go to misc.there was one in there.

3. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

0   0   0

Wally-world can hook you up...$80 out the door. I would also suggest leash training inside and outside first to get him under voice control. The shock collar in my opinion should only be used once the dog learns what is expected of it.

4. ohiogary

ohiogary

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

What breed of hunting dog are you training? I dont think I would have been able to train the two beagles I have now with out one. They are called shock collars , but I rarely ever have to use that feature. Just the tone button, and the range of the transmitter is important, the ones I use now have a range of 1/2 mile. There are some costly units on the market, and I guess you pay for what you get, but you can get by with lower cost units just as well. Ive never trained a lab, but I wouldnt think you would need the distance as much.......You get a young beagle running a deer, thats when the range comes in, and also so the shock feature. Its nice to have a pair of beagles that are trained to a whistle, and does everything you would want them to.
    Gary

5. fulks.13

fulks.13

0   0   0

i have a brittany spaniel puppy, about 4 months old now. i've been working with her quite a bit in the house and she has improved quite a lot. but outside when she gets excited she also gets rather stubborn.

6. kruggy1

kruggy1

0   0   0

Check out lion country supply, they have all makes and models with some being affordable to very expensive.

7. I Fish

I Fish I am what I eat.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Everybody has their own opinions, but if you are planning to use it much and you can afford one, I suggest a Tri-Tronics, I just don't know where there are any cheap ones. I've seen and used just about every make and model, and Tri-Tronics are, by far, the most reliable, and customer service oriented collar on the market. With the cheaper ones, you have to consider battery life and replacement, as well as functionality, and in some cases repairability. I seen a Dogtra brand stick on, shocking the dog constantly. We found him 7 hours later and 3 miles away, still shaking along side the road.

8. elkhtr

elkhtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

we have one in the basement, collar and remote. I am looking for the original box and instruction manual. Bought it from Cabelas. I will let you know what i come up with.

9. littleking

littleking Crossing Lines LIKE A PRO

0   0   0

agreed with tritronics... love mine!

i have two brittanys myself and pigeons to train with, feel free to pm me and we'll get together and work the dogs

10. Reel Thing

Reel Thing

0   0   0

11. farmer

farmer

0   0   0

I raise brittanys, I currently have nine total. I have a Tri-Tronics upland special with beeper in great condition for $300. It is a single dog unit. New batteries in transmitter and collar. I upgraded to the Tri-Tronics Pro 500 EXP series, so I could run more than one dog at a time. Let me know if your interested.

12. fulks.13

fulks.13

0   0   0

thanks everybody for the help, i am still looking for a good deal. i cannot afford 300 dollars right now. if anyone else has a used collar for sale i'd appreciate it.

13. littleking

littleking Crossing Lines LIKE A PRO

0   0   0

i've been in the same boat, but you'll be hard pressed to find one cheaper... i ended up buying new for $350

14. elkhtr

elkhtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0