Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I have a silly question. I got a boat! Yeah! After I ran all over the country trying to get it titled, tagged, registered, etc., I was told that I have to weigh the trailer! How do I do that? I mean, where can I put this boat to have a trailer weighed? Any suggestions? I have never heard of such a thing. But then again, I never owned a boat before! Anything you guys can help me with, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks,
Debi

·
Registered
12 Posts
YOU CAN TRY YOUR LOCAL SALVAGE YARD THEY HAVE SCALES TO WIEGHT IN THER STUFF i went to a junck yard they might charge a min fee but it will leagal

·
Registered
610 Posts
gulivers travels in canton has a semi truck scale, you can drive any car up there. All you have to do is drive up with boat and trailer, then drive off, unhook trailer and drive truck back on and subtract the truck weight from the truck and trailer weight. That our un hook on the scale and drive off if there was nobody waiting. take 77 south to the faircrest exit and you will see the sign.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't I have to weigh just the trailer? Or do they need the weight of the boat AND the trailer?:confused:

·
Registered
12 Posts
go to the lake put the boat in the water , leave someone with it! go to the truckstop in cleveland off Orange by the main postoffice they have a Cat scale I think it's $7 .

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
i believe it is the trl only wgt they want cause thats the price you,ll pay for the plates..........

·
Yes i slept on the couch
2,245 Posts
wanna know something kinda funny..... i ran an old washer and dryer and some other stuff down to a local scrap yard/metal recycler here in ravenna today and there was a guy in a red chevy colorado towing a small boat trailer and he pulled up on the scale, un hitched the trailer and pulled his truck off, had the trailer weighed and then he hitched back up and took off down the road...........

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just wasn't quite sure what they wanted. I was hoping to have it out on it's maiden voyage this weekend, but I don't know...I'm so excited! I'm gonna see what I can do. Thanks again everyone! :)

·
Premium Member
4,699 Posts
What size boat is on the trailer? Get a few guys together, take the motor off, lift the boat off the trailer and set it on blocks. Take the trailer and get it weighed and put everything back together. Any board members in your area to help you?

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
It's kinda ridiculous. The BMV wants the weight of the trailer only.Try and find a lake that offers nightly boat slips. Leave the boat there, then go get the trailer weighed.

Bierce Hardware on Tallmadge Circle will do it for a buck or two, as will the limestone/gravel pit off of Cleveland Massilon Rd. down the road from Gauer Hardware.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What size boat is on the trailer? Get a few guys together, take the motor off, lift the boat off the trailer and set it on blocks. Take the trailer and get it weighed and put everything back together. Any board members in your area to help you?
It's a 14' Tri Hull fiberglass boat with a 35 HP Mercury Motor. IT'S HEAVY! I guess I'll just have to suffer and get dropped off at the lake and sit there and wait until they get back with the weight! Hahaha! Maybe I should double check to see if that trolling motor works OK?! And if my rod and reel work OK with this boat? I have to make sure, right? LOL! Anyway, Thank you. I WILL have it done so my a__ can be on the lake Sunday! Will probably stay close to home right now, like Portage. :D

·
Registered
128 Posts
where ever you got it should have gave you a weight slip for it. if you got it used you can get the old title reg from the person you got it from and the weight will be on that and you can use that. last choice would be what you are doing but if thats all you can do so be it good luck.:C

·
Saved Fish
245 Posts
Time4fish is correct. If you were lucky (smart?) enough to get the old registration from the previous owner then you got what you need.

I went thru this last year... I wasn't lucky or smart. I took my (boatless) trailer to Truck stop at Portage and I77. Had to do the whole weigh both car and trailer then drop the trailer to weigh the car alone (the difference between the two is the weight of the trailer.) The problem with this method is they charged me for both weigh-ins. (damages came to 12 bucks or so)

·
The Inferior Fisherman
2,644 Posts
Some years ago I went through the same thing. On the way back from the weigh in I got stopped and ticketed for no plate. lol I can laugh now because at the time I was pretty ticked off. But when I went to court and told the judge my story he asked the bailiff if there is a 30 day tag for a trailer? Bailiff looked it up and said no. Judge understood that the state forces you to drive illegally and through the ticket out. It's a screwed up system. Take the title with you in case you get stopped. Might help.

·
Registered
615 Posts
the truck stop at the portage exit off 77 does this for you. they can hoist your boat and just weigh the trailer. only place i know of that will do it. also if you don't mind the ten dollar or so difference just tell them to charge you for the maximum weight and avoid the hassle.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have a similar dilemma, but I do have the weight of my boat on the marine survey that the previous owner had done. Anybody know of a scale that will weigh the boat and trailer and subtract the weight of the boat given on marine survey? Seems like my best option if I can find an accommodating scale attendant.

·
Registered
128 Posts
just get the old registration from the previous owner the BMV will take that weight off that it dose not have to be the last one they had to have tags at one time i hope. unless its a new home made trailer that they never had tag before.:B

·
Registered
469 Posts
I apprecieate that, only problem is that I got the boat in a weird bankruptcy thing directly from the bankrupt guy's lawyer acting as power of attorney. The marine survey was in the boat, but the trailer reg. was not. I can't get ahold of the previous owner. it is a homemade trailer, but it was registered because it still has the old tag on it. I wonder if the bmv can get the weight from their records going by the lic. plate number?

I already had to jump through the hoops to get the 12 digit HIN for the boat before I could get the title transferred. That was fun, considering the previous owner was supposed to do that before transferring the title. In this case, the previous owner was technically the attorney, and he was having no part of it. Fun stuff, and I don't even know if the boat runs/floats yet! It was a deal even if it doesn't, and it looks like the guy took care of it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts