close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help getting a reel back together?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by DrChip, Mar 8, 2008.

1. OK, I'm feeling stupid, but here's goes anyhow.

I just took apart my Accurist reel to clean and lubricate it. But, I can't seem to get it back together now. I put all the parts out in order so I'd get them back right. It seems VERY simple, but the left side cover just won't quite go back on correctly.

It seems the problem is the bearing. Without the bearing in, it will close just fine. With the bearing in, it won't close.

Of course, I can't leave the bearing out. I've checked the manual and it seems everything is in the proper order. Photos are below of the three guilty parts that won't seem to go together. Any thoughts/advice from other Accurist owners???

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Reel Man

Reel Man Member

I may be way off here but did you order a new bearing to put into your reel? It almost looks like there is already a bearing there and you are putting a second bearing in on top of the first one. I could be wrong but that's what it looks like in the picture.

3. Marshall

Marshall Catch Photo And Release

Did you take apart the magnetic part? Your dial may be not in the correct position. If all else fails get a hold of www.heartlandtackle.com and tell the guy your problem. I had a problem once and he gladly helped me over the phone and was very helpful at no charge. Another thing could be the bearing may not be seated all the way in. Good luck, keep us updated.

4. Thanks for the input guys. No, I didn't get a new bearing. And yeah, I thought maybe the bearing fit somewhere else, but I only disassembled the left side of the reel and removed the spool. The bearing doesn't belong on the other side of the spool (there's another bearing there already, and anyhow I tried and that REALLY doesn't work, and there is already a bearing in the left side casing as well. The bearing sitting out there on the table is supposed to (from all I can tell from the schematic in the manual) sit on the shaft on the left side of the spool. The "error" to get this to fit is really small -- maybe 1/32 of an inch or less is all I need to get the reel closed up again.

Oh, and in case you're wondering, adjusting the spool tension knob to completely loose doesn't matter either.

Marshall, thanks for the suggestion of heartland. I didn't take apart the magnetic part, and only started fiddling with the magnetic setting when I couldn't get it back together. Maybe I'll try Gander Mountain (where I bought it) first, and if that fails try heartland tackle. Meanwhile (because it doesn't look like I'll be out driving today!), if anyone has any other suggestions, please jump in!