Help finding gas tank

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Stretch, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Stretch

Stretch Wishin I was fishin

Maybe one of you all can help me find a gas tank for my dads boat. He has a Laser 1986, has a fiberglass tank that is leaking. He is looking for a new tank and we are having problems finding one to fit. We still have the old one and will try to patch it if we cant find a new one. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance....Stretch

2. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

www.overtons.com just type in "fuel tanks" in the little search window.

they carry several different sizes from moeller. they are not fiberglass, there made from crosslinked polyethelene. im guessing thats as strong as fiberglass.

3. Stretch

4. cw261

cw261 Member

Both Cabela's and Bass Pro have them also - you might be able to save shipping charges by having it sent to a store for pickup if you are going to be near Cincinnati or Wheeling.

5. they carry several different sizes from moeller. they are not fiberglass, there made from crosslinked polyethelene. im guessing thats as strong as fiberglass.[/QUOTE]

Some older fiberglass tanks will fail from ethanol now present in our gasoline. If you buy new you should be OK but verify it is compatible with gas/ethanol.

6. Stretch

Thanks for the responses. We checked BP and Cableas but none of those will work as far as the connections are concerned. I found a couple of sites and sent them to Dad, he thinks he found one that will work.

Thanks agian!

Stretch

7. I had a custom aluminum tank made 2 years ago for my boat. Go to the West Marine website and look for their listing of fuel tanks, find the page that shows their stock aluminum tanks. I got the name of the manufacturer off of that page and contacted them directly because none of the stock sizes would fit. They custom made a tank for me ( just a basic rectangular tank but with different dimensions from the stock) that was cheaper with shipping than buying through the retailer. They were real nice and accomodating to work with. Sounded like some "good old boys" down in Florida.