close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help cooking catfish

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by nickjohnson2192, Jun 20, 2005.

1. I caught 6 channel catfish @ Deer Creek Friday, and decided today to fillet them, and cook them. When filleting them, I decided not to take off the skin, because the knife was not sharp enough. When cooking them, I coated them in some cajun mix, but had a hard time getting them done. The inside of the fish was a grey color, and these things fried forever. Any idea as to why this is happening? Also any way I can get the skin off other than tearing it off after frying? Any help is appreciated!

2. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

you have to get the skin off, fillet the skin off with a sharp knife..before cooking.

3. thanks a lot, does it keep the meat from cooking?

4. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

5. you can cut a ring around the back of the head and cut down the back and under it down the belly,not too deep and pull the skin off with pliers.butter a glass dish with butter lay skin side down and butter top,onions garlic salt and pepper. cover it litely with paparica.cook in oven for about a half hour,bring it out squirt it down with lemon juice and cook for 5 more min........ vuala!!!!!

6. bill_gfish

bill_gfish Well, Gee Whiz!

eat chicken! Really though the pliers is the easiest way. then gut and cut head, and fins off. leave tail on. kind of like a chip when fried.

bill

7. Lewis made a post where you can fillet them using an electric knife and I am very sure that is easier then pliers... Simply cut behind the head along the gill line dow nto the spine then follow the spine dow not the tail but do not cut through simply flip over leaving about an inch or a little less then follow the skin down to remove. After that simply cut the rib section off and your done. After a few you will become an expert in no time...
    On the cooking part no matter what fish I cook it always comes out better when cooked in one or two bite sizes and cook the sizes that are closest to each other at the same time so you have uniform cooking with each pc...
    Want a recipie I'll post one if not good eating man...

8. These guys are all offering great advice for you here. I just thought I would add a few comments.
    I don't know if you meant that line the way I read it or not. It sounded to me as if you may not have filleted the fish out the day you caught them. If not I would definitely suggest that you clean the fish as soon as possible after your fishing trip. This will help keep the fish tasting better.

Clyde suggested that you cook the fish at uniform thicknesses and that is a very good point to consider. You did not mention how big the fish were. Sometimes when the fish are larger I will take the fillet and split it down to half the thickness which yields two piece of meat from the section. If it is too thick it will take quite a bit longer to fry up. The longer that it takes to fry up the stronger the fish taste will be. The key is to fry it until the meat becomes white and flaky and stop there.

I have always used the method of skinning which guys referred to with the pliers. It is really not very hard to peel the skin off this way. The key to it is having a set of pliers with a good gripping edge to hold on. I have never tried the method that Lewis had suggested but it sounds like a good way to do them as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  9. Thanks for all your help, and Go Browns flathunter!

10. best way i found to cook my catfish is to deep fry them in flour

11. If you are going to eat it immediately then boil some water and pour it on the fish, grab your pliers and you will be amazed at how easy that skin just peels off. If you are not going to eat it right then don't do it because the water will start to semi cook the fish. Breading I use is flour, corn meal, salt, pepper, garlic, cayenne. Fry till flaky. MMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!

12. I may try that soon... THANKS for the tip man

13. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

The best breading for catfish is UnlceBucks They sell it as Bass Pro shop and it comes in mild, medium and hot. Try em all they are great.

14. when you fillet a catfish, is it better to keep the fillet in an ice box or cook it right away?

15. I prefer to cook any fish as soon as I can after cleaning but any time in between it should definitely head right on to ice or in the fridge. If it is going to be more than a couple of days then I put it in the freezer.

16. Predator225

Predator225 Predator225

Also too, if you want to extend the freezer life of your fish especially filets, after dressing them, get some large freezer bags and freeze them in water, but make sure to leave room in the bag so when the ice expands it doesnt burst the bag, so to speak. i have eaten fish almost 8-9 months after freezing them, it also helps if you trim the yellow, or fatty areas off since this harbors alot of bacteria. one of the first things i learned in culinary school.

JB

17. zap

zap

I clean the way the rest suggest.....I use a small pair of channel locks....better grip pressure and better gripping teeth I think. Start pulling from the back and work your way down and around. Piece of cake.

Next, after the fillets are off....do as the others have suggested and cut them into pieces of similar THICKNESS...thats the key.

Now...something I have recently tried and find works well is to simply sprinkle the fish with a commercial fish spice... I use Durkee Grill Creations Chicken & Fish seasoning. Sprinkle it all over the fish pieces and seal them into a ziplock bag for at least an hour or two...next day is better.

Have enough HOT (at the point it is about starting to smoke) vegie oil in a skillet to come up at least half way on the thickness of the pieces of fish and lay them in. When they start to brown flip them over...when that side is done...pull them out and drain them.

A friend suggested that to me...apparently, the salts and flavors from the herbs penetrate into the meat if you let them sit in the frig like that for a day.

I have got to tell you...best catfish I've ever eaten.. :D