close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

HELP>chipmunks in my walls.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by FishnJoe, Jul 3, 2004.

1. For sometime I have been hearing a noise in my walls. Turns out I have chipmunks (ground squirrels) running to and fro. The cutest little buggers with their big eyes. Thats what I use to think. Anyone ever had this problem? Any tried and true means of eradicating them before they destroy everything? I am ready to try anything > Dead or alive. thanks in advance

2. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

3. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Poison may be your only choice.

4. The only problem with killing them ius that you still need to get the outside of the walls. Mouse or rat traps baited with whatever they eat may work just as well as poison. You also need to make sure that the hole where they got in is covered so that you don't have the same problem again.

5. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

try to find where they're getting in at then set some rat traps baited with peanut butter.we had them once and that was the only thing that worked for us.
    if you poison them and the die in the walls it'll stink to high heaven. :(

6. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

1 word for you...........dynamite ;) ..........jim

7. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Actually, they have a poison that is "time released". They take it back to their nests, and can feed their young, passing on the poison. Takes care of the whole colony. Same as for ants. Might be worth checking into. Might want to give Lowe's or Home Depot a call and talk to someone in the rodent control section.

8. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Kill them or use a Hav-A-Hart trap. Catch them live and transport them to a neighbors yard you may not be to fond of :D At my parents house they used a Hav-a-Hart with bird seed, let the squirrels go and dropped the chipmunks in a bucket of water while the chipmunks were still it in. Between my dads declare of war on them and the neighbors dog being uncanny at catching and killing them, there is no more chipmunk problem up there, and they even have a woods in the back yard.

9. Jack Russel terrier and a pellet gun.

10. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

Ive had a similar problem with them digging tunnels all around my and my neighbors houses and getting into my shed. We never saw more than one but so far I have caught about 15 last summer and fall and about 9 this year so far...and the trap is set as we speak.

I use the hav a hart as fishman suggested.

A great bait is those sugar coated honey-roasted peanuts. They love them. I think the sugar kills them occasionally. Too sweet I guess. Its the only bait Ive tried so far and I havent had to search for another.

Find their entrance and set the trap by it. They will come out of your house to search for food (seeds) to store in the house. Thats when you get em! Hopefully they havent had any young yet.

Check the pics.

Good luck.

PS Also with this set up make sure its on level ground because if they can tip the trap on its side they will get out. The bar that falls down to lock the door will come loose. If you trap one and dont kill it right away then use a zip tie to tie the bars down into place. You can see how I have one side permanently tied down with a black zip tie in the one pic...its at the right edge of the trap.

Attached Files:

11. I really appreciate ya'll's view's on these buggers. Hey Hardwaterfan, check out pic of mounds. Are these mounds of dirt their handiwork? I always thought they we"re from moles. They are popping up everwhere.

Attached Files:

12. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Those look like good ole mole holes.

13. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

From what I have seen in my yard, I would say that those are not from chipmunks. I have a lot of chipmunks but never seen any mounds like that.