close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help! Annoying pop up only on OGF.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by leeabu, Aug 1, 2004.

1. I get a pop up that first pops up as a small box in the lower left hand corner that looks like it will say welcome except the box not large enough. Then it pops up in the middle of the screen in a large box that shows an address bar that includews the text "media30fastclick". It then goes to an Internet Explorer box that says server cannot be found. It will not show up if I again close and then reopen OGF within about 8 hours or so but will come up at least once every day. It has then gone to a website but only once or twice. I have noAds and AOL pop up blockerse and have ran Spybot and the latest version of Ad-Ware and they have not removed this. This only shows up on OGF. Any ideas?

2. JohnBoat

JohnBoat OU Bassmaster

I have the same problem, except I get around 8 popups at a time when I visit OGF

3. The tech guys will look into this. I'll make them aware of your questions. I'm not a tech guy, but do know, from what they told all of us administrators, that pop-ups are everywhere, on LOTS of different sites, AND, the ones here should be coming up as pop-unders, which you don't see until you sign off the site.
    I'll get a tech guy with you to answer in more detail.

I copied the post to admin, but please be patient for a response. Afterall, it is the weekend and we like to fish too! :)

thanks

4. OK> I put it back. Sorry again. duh.......

5. bill_gfish

bill_gfish Well, Gee Whiz!

yeah, I get a pop up here as well. As much as I hate em', they gotta pay the bills.

Bill

6. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

IF you wouldn't mind screenshotting the popup that is giving you problems (hit your PRINTSCREEN key when it shows up, then PASTE it into Word or Wordpad) and email it to shakedown@ohiogamefishing.com it would help us figure out what's going on.

As for the popups themselves, it's the only souce of income we have at this point, which is a necessary evil. Startup costs (software licensing for the forum software, picture posting software, etc) were in the thousands, which we have yet to cover. Not to mention our monthly operating expenses (this site uses a BIG fast server, and a lot of bandwidth). Ads help us cover that, allowing us to maintain a free site for everyone. It's also helping fund the free outings that we have/will be putting on, as well as all of the other goodies we have in the planning stages for the future. Our goal is to sell enough banner ads, that we can scrap all the popups and such. Trust me when I say this, we hate them as much as everyone else does!

Not one of us has made a dime off OGF, but all of us staff (and members who donated) have funded the site from day one. This was something we were all willing and happy to do, we just ask that you guys understand that we are trying to recover that if we can. Any extra goes into the site, in the form of operating expenses and budgets for events and outings, as well as promotions. As it stands, we have a loooong way to go, but every little bit helps.

7. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

I usually get the first pop up, as always, but lately, I have been getting 8-12 pop up errors at once. they all come at once and show up as a stack of internet exporers. it gets so bad that it has actually froze my computer before.

8. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

I got ride of Internet Explorer and downloaded Mozilla, its a real good web browser with a pop up blocker. www.mozilla.org

9. Thanks guys. I have been living with this for about two months now and it for sure is not something that should interfear with anybody's fishing time. I will try to capture it and send it to you shakedown. Thanks Big Daddy.

10. catking

catking Banned

I get very few of them. So its not all about this site ;) I get one when I log on and that's it :confused: I know they are a pain in the arse, but the guys above have given an explaination...... :) .CATKING

11. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

I have noticed pop ups as well as pop unders latley.

Looking forward to the popups going away.

flash------------------------------------------out

12. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

arrrrg pop unders, just noticed that! eeeeeeeeeeeew.. oh well gotta make money some how, I'm sure the admins are shelling out their fair share of money to keep this a float, nothing wrong with trying to recoup some of that ;)

13. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Atrk:
    Just so you understand that is 1000's. You'd have to know what we have purchased to understand. If you don't know don't make negitive comments.
    If yours was cheaper good for you. Again I'll say this site is free thanks to us that own it.

14. My comment was not negative at all... :(
    I stand by it 100%
    If a server was purchased thats great for this forum and network but programs do not cost 1000's or you was burned and what I am then saying is beware in the future... ;)

15. Oh BTW...
    $$$ should be made either to break even or make a profit...
    I'm all for it :D
    The more pop-ups, ad space sold the better this forum becomes for us

16. catking

catking Banned

This topic almost riles the carp vs bowmen threads :D The bottom line is it cost a few bucks each month to run a site. More than what some realize. Yes, start up cost and getting a site started cost money, but keeping one going also cost money. We ALL know what pop-ups are all about, but some are getting more than others. I don't hardly get any. CATKING.

17. I also wanted to add...
    I'm thrilled we have an Ohio site that is ran by Ohioan's :D :D

GAWD I hated that "other" forum grrrrrrr :mad:

Oh that remind me... I'll post in the carp forum ;)

18. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

I got a free basic popup stopper from Panicware. I used it with window 98 and with XP and have never had a problem. Here's a link for the free version or you can go to www.panicware.com & see other versions.

19. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

atrkyhntr. You are completely wrong in your statement, as you were not privy to the behind the scenes startup of this site, yet you speak like you were. You claim that my statement is false or made up, and I don't appreciate that you incinuate that I am lying to our members. I guess you didn't catch the "etc" in my statement. Think the email software was free? Bulliten board software? How about the chat? Newsletter? Picture post? Domain name? How about LLC fees? Lawyer fees? Registering with the State of Ohio? All of which are necessary so this site is owned equally by it's owners, preventing 1 person from making all the decisions, and changing focus without consent of 10 other guys...protecting the site from suffering a fate that we've seen elsewhere. Yes, it adds up to thousands. Portraying myself or OGF in any other light, is completely untrue.

20. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Folks, popunders are a way of helping pay our bills, and they're here for awhile. Once we start to generate enough income in other means, they'll come off. You should NOT be getting pop-ups, and if you are then you are probably using the yahoo toolbar. Get rid or disable that and you will not get a popup.

It is not our long-term intent to keep these around, trust me. They are a necessary evil as our marketing engine cranks up. As it stands, we make enough money off the ads to pay our monthly server costs with a couple of bucks let over.

And BTW, the person quoted below, you do not know what you speak. There's been much more to making OGF come alive that simply a few bucks for software. We have our own server, have legal fees, etc...etc... Any time you want to take a look at our books you just let me know and I'll be happy to share.