close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hello. My name is Gary and I'm a...

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Gary, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Gary

Gary Bait Catcher

FISHAHOLIC. :eek:

I've always heard that the first step to recovery is admitting that you have a problem. I suppose maybe the second step is to accept support from those who love you and the third may be to seek out those who have been down the same path and have learned to cope with the disease. Well folks, here I am. Once again, I hit rock bottom as I seemingly do every year as the flatheads stop biting in the Big O while they spawn. I went paylaking. I'm so ashamed... :eek:

There I sat last Friday night, casting over and over into the abyss to no avail. Watching and waiting for the tell-tale disappearance of my glow sticks and the sweet sound of my bait clickers, I sat there as Friday night turned into Saturday morning while the fog settled down like a security blanket over my troubled soul. Guilty feelings crept in over spending 20 bucks in support of such a deplorable business while not even so much as getting a bite all night and then it happened... :(

Just as I was about to reel in a particularly lively green sunfish in order to reposition the little fellow, the float he was drifting under slowly disappered into the depths. As the line tightened and the bait clicker played it's familiar song, I felt my heart start to race. Engaging the reel and setting the hook with authority, I immediately felt the power of the fish and the rush that comes over me like the loss of virginity as I landed my first 25 pound flathead of the year. Within short order I put a nice 15-20 pound blue on the bank followed by a little 10 pound flathead caught on the first bait of choice by nearly every red-blooded American boy. Yes that's right, I caught him on worms. Drowning in glee, I found myself anticipating the next bite. Just as it seemed the bite had passed, one of my floats suddenly sank. Grabbing my rod, I engaged the reel and allowed the fish to tighten the line a bit. With a very hard set of the hook, I quickly realized that I'd latched onto something much, much larger than before. As the fish hit the surface, my heart pounded as I took in the enormity of it. The fish put up a good fight, but it wasn't long until the big blue found himself on the bank.

[​IMG]

This one was certainly big enough to carry over for an official weight so another guy helped me take him. It felt great as my arm grew tired on the way to the bait house and there certainly were no longer any guilty feelings over that 20 dollar ticket as I was given the weight of 57 1/2 pounds! :D WHOOO HOOO!!

[​IMG]

I got to go back. I can't help it. I'm just not ready for the wagon yet. I'm sorry... :(

--Gary

2. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Oh man...did you ever just open a big can of worms !!

3. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

4. Bass_Hawg

Bass_Hawg Certified Hawg Master

Great story, even better fish! ! !

5. I think it's safe to say that you're not the only FISHACHOLIC on this site! At least we can all be together in one place!

6. OK, it’s Friday…..I’ll bite!

Too bad someone removed that beautiful fish from it’s natural habitat (like the Ohio River), stuck it in a mud hole, and charged people to “fish”. It would be a truly impressive catch out of any public waterway, it is just a depressing site when caught out of an establishment that is raping our rivers and lakes!

Individuals remove large cats from their natural habitat because pay lakes will pay a premium for large cats. Paylakes will pay a premium for large cats because there are many individuals that want a chance to “catch” a large cat, and will pay for that opportunity.

By frequenting paylakes, you are supporting this system! That is, if no one frequented paylakes, there would not be the same demand for large catfish, and more large cats would stay in the natural habitat. Just think, then people could actually FISH for them (free of charge)!

7. THarris

THarris CHASING THE BIG 'UNS

I cannot say it any better than Rooster just did so I will agree with him 110%.

Paylakes are evil!

8. Perch

Perch Perch Addict

Nice Fish.............................did he take live bait or something dead?

Also to the "anti-paylakers"........ we may not all agree on the ethical aspects of fishing one, but it bumms me out to see a guy post a nice thread like the above and then see 4 other posts degrading him for the catch, rather where he caught the fish.

Are paylakes Illegal? Not yet..............they may be some day.............Until then, it would be fair to say running a boat up the Ohio to catch a Blue is just as legal as paying a guy at a lake to catch a Blue......................

Do I paylake? No....................But its stil not fair to give a guy a hard way to go for a legal activity.

2cents.lets hope nobody gets all pisssed off

9. smalliehunter

smalliehunter "The Mighty Wing Man"

I dont agree with paylaking, simply because of the way that most if not all of these paylakes obtain thier monster cats to stock in thier lakes. I know its not illegal to fish paylakes, but ethically its wrong. Not being a big catman myself (i am the bassin half of the RRP), myself and my RRP partner Tharris have combed the banks of the local rivers and lakes seeking out a "flattie hole"......covered lots of miles, looked at lots of structure, fished numerous hours......... to date i have not landed one :( .......... HOWEVER.....I would rather go "flattieless" then to visit a paylake, pay my 20 bucks and land some beast taken from its natural waters, just to catch a fish......... the whole idea of fishing is what i mentioned above........to see your efforts pay off with a nice catch. Now these are only my thoughts, i am not bashing the orginal poster who landed the 57lb blue......i am bashing the ethical decision this guy made to fish a pay lake, support its un-ethical practices of stocking big cats, based soley on my perspective of paylakes ;) . Never critize a person, if you must critize then critize the idea, thought or actions............... I believe i have done that.......... :confused:

10. Perch

Perch Perch Addict

I'll Buy that Smallie..................................Like I said, Im not a Paylaker either................I just have a problem with the attitude of some on here about these legal practices..........................believe me, theres alot more out there yet to weigh in......................

Perhaps the Team OGF guys should advertise this free site ( which is way cool, by the way ) as "free, but just dont bring up paylaking or face a rash of crapp"...................

The Mods dont put up with Bowfishing bashers...................and in MY OWN opinion, this practice is way more barbaric, as every fish ends up dead and rotten ....................They are never gonna outlaw paylakes.................................They are never gonna outlaw guys fishing the Ohio river for Blue cats either................Not every guy can afford a boat to take out to the rivers and fish big Blues.

Thresher...Milford, Ohio

11. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

Touchy subject...keep it civil guys...

12. shuvlhed1

shuvlhed1 Banned

and I'll say it again. While paylaking is stocked lake cheating, it does tend to attract that moron drunken redneck crowd that would otherwise be taking up space on the river or at a public park somewhere. Count your blessings.

13. Perch

Perch Perch Addict

Great site you all have here Lewis,

My intentions are nothing but Civil here................you would have to agree that if you posted a pic of a 57 lb Blue that you caught , and checked back to see that half the replies were negative towards it..............that would discourage about anyone that would visit or join here....................

My thoughts are this: If you dont approve of the location of a fish caught by a member here, spouting off will not change ANYTHING about it.

Its Legal to paylake if one wishes. Why give a guy a hard time?

I know the Mods here have better values than that.

T Milford, Ohio

14. Perch

Perch Perch Addict

After reading your post, Ill ask you: What lake isnt Stocked? Do you cheat my friend?

T Milford Ohio

15. smalliehunter

Nothing but civil here.......... :D :D :eek:

16. I'm against paylaking and would not go to one myself. That is how I feel. However, you cannot possibly call in "unethical" behavior. Littering, cheating, stealing.....these are unethical behaviors. Not visiting a paylake. I do understand the strong negative feelings towards those that do visit paylakes and especially those that "advertise" their catches on a board that has long stood agains such practices. Let's not get out of hand though and call it "unethical behavior." It is not.

17. smalliehunter

:confused: It was a un-ethical decision to support the actions of un-ethical practices of obtaining monster cats for pay lakes. Not sure how you argue the point of not calling it un-ethical behavior......... taking monster cats out of natural waters to stock pay lakes is un-ethical...... Goes against the basic ethics of fishing.......... to support (paying 20 bucks, etc) a place that practices un-ethical means of stocking their lake is UN ETHICAL....... my perspective only..........

18. Perch

Perch Perch Addict

I can see where some fellas on here get upset with guys netting big Blue Catfish from the Ohio River and selling them to Paylakes............I understand they are listed as endangered in this body of water, and it doesnt make sense to be able to net them and sell them................

Here is a fact thats being missed by many guys.............. I own a lake, along with 198 other fisherman..............its a private club. We have 60 acres, about half of it water...............we stock with Flatheads, Blues ( yes), Bass and Channels................The company we get our Blues from NEVER bring us a Blue larger than 15 Pounds...........They get them from Ky Lake , not the Ohio river..................Our Blue Cats are Huge..we have a few 60 # plus.............they grow up in our lake, and we are not a paylake...................Our Flatheads spawn in our lakes.......Its common to catch little babies all the time...............but we also have homegrown 50 # plus fish.............Stocked? yes......................

Are the Trout that they put in the Mad river "natural"? The fish are raised at a hatchery to be put in the rivers and streams. How about the Millions of Hybrid stripers that they have dumped in Eastfork since the 80's.....Same with the Ohio River Hybrid stripers................These fish dont even have a chance to reproduce, thus the name "Hybrid"................Is this Ethical? how many of you have fished East fork or the Ohio for Hybrids....Lots I'm sure......lets not even go into about the Billions of Walleyes that are raised just for the great Lake Erie, and BOY does it cost alot to fish there !!!!!!.. ;) ...Its easy to get an idea in your head and then generalize....................just 2 more civil cents worth

T Milford , Ohio

19. You said that paylaking tends to attract that moron drunken redneck crowd. Well, have you ever been to Meldahl Dam when the cats and stripers are hittin'?!?! Talk about your world's largest paylake!!!!!!!!!!

20. traphunter

traphunter Guest

Nice fish Gary, I would love to tangle with one that big. ;)

I agree with flathunter, I dont like fishing paylakes that much either but hey, at least they have to release the big boys. I would much rather sit at a paylake all day and not catch anything, than go to the local lake or river and watch as the true morons keep hundreds of undersized fish. Thanks to people like them, one of my favorite places to fish is now ruined.

Oh by the way shuvelhead what do you consider a Redneck, because the way you described them are nothing like any I know. :mad:

Proud to be redneck :) > seth