close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hello -In need of guidance

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Skunked ...Again, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Hello, I'm new to the site and wanted to say hello to everyone. I also want to say thanks to everyone on here for all the useful and helpful tips. As my name indicates I have a talent for not catching fish though I love trying. I've really been at it about a year now and I'm just trying to learn and absorb as much has I can. I pretty much fish from the shoreline at Griggs but I've tried Antrim and Hoover. I've had some luck at Griggs; caught my first smallmouth :) on Friday and a cat at Antrim on the same night. Was wondering if anyone had any tips on any of these lakes, I usually target either bass or catfish, though I'm partial to bass. I know the heat lately has slowed it down from the shore. I fish Alum quite a bit by boat but can't get north of Cheshire cause its a sailboat. I'd like to target saugeye but am not really sure which methods are best. Any advise would be great.

2. Welcome to the site!!

Since you don't have a boat, you should try wading. There are some great area to fish on the local streams that you can't always get to just from the bank. At Griggs try wading from the frizbe golf course, south and throw soft plastics. I'm partial to tubes. Other guys have success at Olentangy and Big Walnut but I havn't fished either. I can't help with Antrim, I've never been there either. Good luck!!

3. shwookie

shwookie fishing from a kayak

Griggs is horrible right now since the water is so low. I went saturday and caught several smallies with the biggest being a whole 8". Also caught a 12" channel cat somehow.

If we ever get some rain, it should get better, hopefully.
    Griggs gets hammered all the time, but with the water being this low, its super tough.

South of the frisbee golf course is so shallow the carp hit my kayak as the pass underneath.

I've fished griggs for years, not as much this year, but if you want more info, feel free to pm me.

4. WB185Ranger

WB185Ranger Gotta Love Odie!

Welcome to the site "stinky"!! (just kidding!) I'm sorry I couldn't help myself
    Glad you joined us! :) WB

5. Wow, I didn't realize it was that low. That's the direction I typically have the best luck, allthough I hate that place and rarely fish it. I have only been there once this year and it was back in the spring when water levels were normal.

6. shwookie

Yeah, its pretty low in most spots down that way.
    Gets even shallower past the train bridge thing, but you can't wade anywhere near there since its private property.

7. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

That's not entirely true about the wading, if I remember right you did some "wading" south of 5th!
    Mike

8. shwookie

Falling in the scioto does not equal wading.....

9. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

But I must say you did it very graceful, did you have formal training?

I looked at the PM, looks good, I'll either call or PM you tomorrow, hopefully I'll be getting a new reel tomorrow, and some new lures, and I think I'll pick up a stringer and a fillet knife.
    Mike

10. shwookie

Wow, multiple skunks!

11. Thanks for all the advise and the warm response. Lived up to my namesake once again this Friday night at Alum:S . Was out on the boat and drifting quickly became trolling with the 10-15 mph winds. The wind was pushing us 2-3 mph. In the end it was a nice night on the water but no fish. Went with the girlfriend to Griggs the next day -I got one small bluegill she caught about ten and rubbed it in:mad:. She did get a monster bluegill though 2-2.5 lbs and about 7 or 8 inches; I'll never hear the end of it. Hopefully the cooler weather will bring better fishing; but thanks again to everyone -I need all the help I can get.

12. shwookie

You can't go wrong with a small floating black and silver rapala or 2" grubs on a 1/16th jig at griggs.

Better luck next time.

13. you have the best name ever... and people say fisherman are liars. the best way to catch fish that i have found is go to a new spot, and dont fish, look for people catching fish, watch them, ask them questions about the technique and then come back later and try to imitate them. takes more time at first but you usually learn faster that way, cuts out the ineffective time on the water. it is also easier to learn a new way to fish by watching than trying to read how to do it off a computer screen :)
    goodluck