Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Anglers,

I just started fishing this year and LOVE it! I'm obsessed. I just caught my first fish, but can't figure out what it is. Looks like a sunfish, but I don't know for sure. If it is a sunfish, can you tell what type? I've looked at a zillion photos and still can't tell for sure. I caught it in the Olentangy river. I'm totally hooked on this sport! Thanks for your help. :F 0514071855.jpg

Attachments

·
Scourge of Hoover
1,869 Posts
Either a sunfish/bluegill or perhaps a rock bass is my guess.

*Rock bass will have a distinct red ring in their eye - can't tell from the photo.

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
rockbass.hard for these old eyes to see the colors.what color was it?green=equals green sunfish.
brownish-grayish=rockbass.

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
now that i have cleaned my glasses:D
the body shape and coloration says rock bass.

·
respect our rivers please
2,669 Posts
Thats the biggest mouth'd bluegill I have ever seen....Regardless of the species Congrats on the first catch....Welcome to the insanity...Now you will begin getting more toys for fishing...

flash-------------------------------------out

·
Here We Go Steelers
1,142 Posts
100% sure it's a warmouth.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks so much for your quick replies. This fish was different from the other bluegills my friend caught. Its body wasn't as round and its mouth was crazy-big (ok, I admit the mouth scared me so my friend is holding it - I did unhook a bluegill/sunfish - less scary mouth). So I'm leaning towards green sunfish, warmouth or rock bass. I don't recall a red eye, and it's belly was partly a pretty orange color. I think it was brownish on top, like it would blend in with the Olentangy. Thanks so much for helping me... you guys are wonderful! Please keep the suggestions coming. If I know what it is I'll be braver next time and unhook it myself! ;)

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
warmouth also can have an orange colored belly.

·
If your gonna be a bear..
1,188 Posts
A rock bass will have 6 anal fin spines. A warmouth only 3. It's hard to tell from the picture but I am guessing warmouth or Green sunfish.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK guys,

Looks like it's a warmouth, green sunfish, or rock bass. Very funny, Chucky (ps: Go Steelers!). I'm a city girl so I need to warm-up on the "unhooking" part of fishing. Any dissenting opinions on the fish identification, please advise.

Since I do catch and release, is it better for the fish if I wear a glove when I hold it? If so, are there fishing gloves for that sort of thing (other than the latex medical ones)?

Thanks for the warm welcome. Fish on.:F

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don't know that there is any real harmfulness to the fish by holding it bare handed. Someone else may know more but I have never seen some one wear a glove other than during cleaning. I was just at Gander last night and they have several different brands of gloves. I say if it makes you feel better wear a glove!

Oh and Raider Nation all the way!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Well it might of thought it was. lol Steelers? The Bus rusted out so off to the BONE yard they go. WOOOFF!! WOOOFF!! GO Browns! :D

There is a TV fishing host, his name slips my mind,that uses a red fishing glove that has velcro on it and it hangs off your belt. I've seen it in the Bass Pro magazine also.
Take a pair of needle nose pliers out of your mans tool box. They fit in the back pocket pretty good. Grab the hook then just give it a little shake and the hook comes right out. Most of the time you don't have to grab them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Avaya and Company. Chucky, all I got to say is the Bus never rusted, and neither will his Superbowl ring. But you wouldn't know about those (congrats on 4-12... and enjoy that crybaby Quinn).

I've got my own pliers and a ton of tackle and supplies; I'm totally loaded. I just need to learn how to use it all. Can't wait! Thanks, that's a good idea to take out the hook with pliers. Is that how you do it with catfish?

Thanks all. Steph

·
Registered
421 Posts
Oh they always bring up the RING! *hangs head low over the 4-12. LoL.
So you're saying don't buy a Quinn jersey yet? Because I already got a crybaby Couch jersey in the closet. I'm just messing with you. lol

But the needle noses work good. I use them for walleye, smallmouth, sheephead.. I've never really catfished much.

Oh where are my manners. Welcome to OGF :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts