close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Heel Pain?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lewis, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

Anyone have any experience with this?
    How did your treatment go?
    Just got back from the doc and I was diagnosed with Plantar Fascilitis (sp)
    I have had major sharp pain in my right heel for a couple months that is getting progressively worse.
    Something about an inflamed tendon that needs rested and stretched.
    I know have about 3 miles of tape on my foot and a Darth Vader sleeping boot that cost me $200 if the insurance doesnt cover it.
    Its a bitch when every step you take results in pain.
    I guess 30 years of concrete plant floors will do that to you.

2. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Dude, you gonna have that off come next week for TN? How's shorty gonna sleep next to that thing :D

3. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

Dude...I am bunking with you! :D
    I want to kick you with my new boot on! :D

4. Lewis,
    :( I start my PT today for Achilles' tendentious in my right foot. I can relate with you about the pain, but I don't have a boot. They are giving me ultra sound and stretching exercises right now. Have to have a heel support in shoe. Go to PT 3 times a week and see the Doc again in 3 weeks. :mad:

5. I have the same problem working with the doctor and pt's for awhile now. I got the $300 insoles (that did help alot) now I'm in the process of getting a second oppion about surgery. I would not wish this on my worst enemy. Anyway good luck and I know what you are going through. I didn't get the $200 boot, that is depressing.
    HA HA HA...........

6. bill_gfish

bill_gfish Well, Gee Whiz!

7. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

Cant be any worse than Gout in yer ankle OOOOUUUUCCCCCHHHHHH!!!!!!! Doc said it's worse than labor pains :eek: :eek:

My advise...use a cane, you're old enough for it to look natural :D :D ;)

8. This is something I'm all too familiar with. I've had heel pain for quite a few years now, and still haven't found the cause. I first suspected a heel spur and the doctor gave me medication and exercises to do, similar to what you'll be doing I'm sure. I just couldn't make it to PT twice a week. I think it may have helped, but it certainly isn't fixed. The sharp pain in the morning has been gone for a couple years, but the CONSTANT burning in my left foot is still there. If I lay in bed, I can't have that foot touching anything, it has to be elevated. The last year and a half or so, I've developed pain in my legs that travels up to my knees. It's in both legs, but worse in my left. I suspect all of this may be related to poor circulation to my legs, possibly a back problem. If I spend all day on my feet, or all day sitting at my desk, it's almost unbearable at night. Anywhere in between and they're not bad. Weekends usually don't bother me, but through the week it's terrible. The doc didn't offer the boot, but did suggest a support in my shoes. They suggested some over the counter ones to try first, but after two years I still haven't bought them. :rolleyes: I also went to a podiatrist and he wrapped my foot and we even tried a Cortizone shot. After that, I'll gladly take the heel pain. :eek: On the up side, I've had almost no leg pain for almost a week, but I'm not sure why. I'd encourage you to do the exercises the doctor suggests. The heel stretches did seem to help, but I was too stupid to continue them like I was supposed to. Hot, then cold water foot soaks should help also. If I remember right, it'll take while for that tendon to settle back down, and that was my problem. As soon as it started to feel better, I forgot about my exercises. Then it comes right back. I have BUNCHES of literature around here somewhere if your interested, but I figure you do too. :D Good luck and listen to that doctor.

9. I too had a bout with plantar fasciitis. It really is a nuisance. But a word of optimism for you. It can be healed.

I had a couple different shots of cortizone in the arch (fascia) to eliminate the imflammation. That helped for the short term but getting it healed is requires much more. First of all, consider the footwear that you are wearing currently. They may be the cause or a large contributor. If they are not very new or appear slight broken down replace them. As far as orthotic inserts, I was able to get by with the kind you can find in a pharmacy and cut down to fit your shoe size. Some people do not do well with these and thus end up with fitted inserts. But this method is expensive so I would try the $10 option first. I am not sure what exercises the doctor prescribed, if any, but try doing plenty of stretching. You want to make sure that you are getting the calves AND hamstrings stretched out well. When these muscles are tight it puts stress all the way down to the feet.

As I said the footwear is critical. I am guilty of it as well at times, but many times shoes/boots will break down in the arch support long before the uppers start showing need for replacement.

I hope this helps in some way.

Good luck!

10. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

Thanks for all the responses guys.
    Good to know others have successfully treated this.
    Its been getting worse for several months,I hope it isnt chronic.

11. catking

catking Banned

Myself and my brother both had severe heel pain. We are both carpenters and I just worked the pain out. It did take about 5 months , and I could at times, barely walk it hurt so bad, but it did go away. He has a bone spur that took about 9 months to finally go away . It's all in how much pain you are willing to go through . I for one, had no insurance , so I took ALOT of pain :D .THE CATKING !!!

12. I found that the pain was worst when I first woke up or after sitting for a while. Once I got it stretched out it was fine. In fact I was still actively playing basketball during the period of time. It gave me no discomfort during physical exercise. It was just once everything had time to tighten back up. That is why I emphasize the stretching.

13. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

I've had the same thing off and on for a long time. A couple of years ago (right around my 40th birthday) I finally went to a doctor about it. No scripts, just told me to stretch it. Since I am on my feet all day at work, I also bought a pair of Wolverine Dura Shock work shoes, which are awsome. Pain went away in a few days.

14. Same For Me Too. Had 4 Cortizone Shots And A Pair Of Orthotics. Finally Went Awy. Haven't Had Any Trouble For The Past 3 Yrs. Knock On Wood. Avoided Surgery.