Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
catchin my own bait since 1957
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
getting my stuff ready for spring lol I should start a tackle store :geek: and found the following lures in my stash that I forgot about;
  • Kautzky Lazy Ike - red / white
  • Flatfish, older style, w/2 spreader hooks in the middle
  • Heddon River Runt Spook Sinker
  • Heddon River Runt Midget
  • Heddon River Runt Go Deeper
probably around 50-55+ yrs. old, I bought many of them new when I was a much younger pup, no packaging but all in new condition, probably never used ... they're real purty :D are these worth anything as collector items or should I just see if they'll still catch fish :p

thanks guys ...

·
catchin my own bait since 1957
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they're like new condition but no boxes ... they have original hooks, didn't know there were any options for the lure ... don't know how to determine color Lol a couple of them are "silverish" :p

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
they're like new condition but no boxes ... they have original hooks, didn't know there were any options for the lure ... don't know how to determine color Lol a couple of them are "silverish" :p
If hook hangers are on with 2 screws they are collectible. If they have eye screws for hook hangars they are Pradco and have little value. The floater diver Runts were popular fish catchers in 60s and before Bass mania.

·
Registered
492 Posts
You can put them up for auction on ebay. Their worth more with boxes of course, but you should still get some money for them. Heddon pumpkin seeds in nice condition get some nice money. Last one I saw sold for $170.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I was given a bunch of tackle and I think I have a half-dozen Runts, a couple of Pikie Minnows, and maybe a dozen Flatfish.

Wonder if they still catch fish?

TBH, I never caught anything on a Flatfish.

·
Premium Member
3,895 Posts
Yes, these lures still catch fish, I still use Heddon River Runt floater fishing GMR and it performs like most modern crank baits. Most do not have much value unless as stated previously, have special colors or older hardware. Post pictures, love these old lures!

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I was given a bunch of tackle and I think I have a half-dozen Runts, a couple of Pikie Minnows, and maybe a dozen Flatfish.

Wonder if they still catch fish?

TBH, I never caught anything on a Flatfish.
In 60s Flatfish were very popular. They won’t stand fast retrieve, they will turn over and flop on top.
The Bass Pro run and gun style rules them out. I’ve got them from Fly Rod to M2 & T4. Caught loads of fish on them. They made a surface version that was dynamite in evenings.
River Runts and big brother Vamp, floater divers were also very popular plugs in 60s. I never did well locally on Pikie. Did in Ontario & Quebec on Northerns.
A lot of the older plugs are quasi collector items. Since Pradco owns most now the quality of some of the old plugs has suffered. The original generation of plastic plugs that made the trip from wood usually run better than wood. Then they get to improving and ruin the plug.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Pikie minnows will probably always catch fish in the right locations. Flatfish need to be fished slow. It's been a long time but a friend used to put people to shame using small flatfish in the Stillwater river for smallmouth. I had just started using tiny Rebel Wee Craws for smallies but had a couple of small flatfish that I liked too.

There's a guy out west that uses them in front of a slow death rig for eyes. The pull slower than reg spinners so running them might be compatable with a couple of smiley blade rigs.

If you want to use bigger ones on erie for eyes, try in back of a big 4 oz bouncer like the old timers did in the 1940's through...

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I was using Rebel Wee-Craw for years on creel Small Mouth. It’s aggravating when they fouls and flop on retrieve. I bought them by the carton and still have a bunch of them. I also lost a few 3-4lb fish when hooks pulled out. I have switched to 1/8oz Bomber Fat-A, craw. Cast like a bullet and have bigger hooks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts