close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Heavy duty spincast reel recommendations?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by chrsvic, Mar 4, 2008.

1. chrsvic

chrsvic Biggest Member

I may be taking my teenage son up to Canada fishing this summer. I'm thinking of getting a spincast outfit that can handle 15 to 20 lb test line, but still work fairly smoothly.

He's fished there before, but with the regular Zebco 33/Johnson Century type outfits with 8-10 lb line, if he gets into northerns they break him clean off. Even if u used a wire leader, the fish pull hard enough to break your line if the drags don't work well. (Myself, i use a baitcaster and a medium duty spinning outfit which works great, but i doubt i'll teach him to use those, he's too much into skateboarding.)

So, i'd like a heavy spincast outfit that could toss a half ounce spinnerbait, and might do double duty fishing with live bait for catfish and other large fish around here. Any suggestions?

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

check out the zebco hawg seeker or saltwater reel.those should suit your needs.there are a few other makers of spincast reels also.personally i'm no zebco fan,but they are very popular and i believe in using what you're comfortable with.
    those are lager reels that will handle at least 20 pound test line.

3. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

Nevermind, thought you were asking for a spinning outfit..

4. 808 magnums rnt bad either i have one that i let my wife use for cats, and it holds 25 lbs. line/125 yds. with bait alert. but that hawgseeker i havnt seen yet and since it has lights and flashy things the wifey might like that one, u know how wifes are its gotta be flashy and purdy lmfao but i dont complain she likes to cat fish!!!!!!!!!:D

5. chrsvic

chrsvic Biggest Member

Thanks - both of those reels look interesting. I think i saw the Hawg Seeker here locally. I might get the reel but hook it up with a more conventional casting rod. I like a little longer handle, but not quite so much as in the combo.

6. BiteMyLine

BiteMyLine Just One More Cast

How about a larger sized spinning reel. I've never had any luck with spincast reels. Too much stuff to worry about and not enough torque in the gears, or a decent drag. Not to mention it is a pain taking off the cover if any knots or tangles get in the line. Best suited for bluegill or crappie if you ask me, and young kids.

7. Bite my line is right, 1st hook up with a 25# pike will wipe out a spincast reel.
    It may still work but will sound like a haybaler when reeling it.
    Try a Shimano Spirex 4000 spinning reel, It has a trigger to release the bale and is easy to learn to cast. Also has the guts to reel in the biguns. $59

8. jimofcfd

jimofcfd Member

You might want to look at a Rhino RSC5 setup. I believe Rhino is now owned by Zebco, but I think the reels are heavier built. My wife uses all 3 sizes of this reel and likes them.

9. The spirex reels are tough I have a mess of them from the 1000s to the 4000 the 1000s have taken a beating and still run smoothe the 4000 doesnt get used as much but it is a work horse and easy to use.

10. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

Look for a Johnson Javelin spincast reel. I have 2. They will freak you out. They look like baitcasters. You should have seen the looks on peoples faces when my 7 year old son was using his.:) I had never received so many compliments on how well i taught my son to cast using a baitcaster. Never told them it was a spincast.

11. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

Here's the reel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]