Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with the cost of propane this year has anyone considered an electric heater? I have small 12volt 30ah batteries that are easy to store in the sled. looking for the right heater now.

·
Gary B
150 Posts
Yes I agree. Get a 20# tank and warm it up in the house. Put your empty 1#'s in the freezer. When you are ready to fill them, put the adapter on and turn the 20# tank upside down and screw on a 1# and open the valve on the 20# tank. Wait until you don't hear it any more and close the valve and take off the 1# (Do this outside as you will get a little oder when you remove the small canister). Saves $ for sure.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I have had my best luck refilling mine by just screwing them on and walking away for a half hr or so . I do this outside obviously but doing it this way I seem to get them completely full .

·
Registered
829 Posts
this season i think im going to use a 5 gallon propane tank. Thats plenty for an all day trip. Plus wont have to lug the 20# around all day. Gotta be cheaper than buying all the 1# bottles too.

·
just 1 more cast!!!
2,943 Posts
this season i think im going to use a 5 gallon propane tank. Thats plenty for an all day trip. Plus wont have to lug the 20# around all day. Gotta be cheaper than buying all the 1# bottles too.
Where can you find a 5 lb propane bottle I've been looking for an aluminum 5 lb propane bottle or even a 10 pounder and I can't find them anywhere

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Where can you find a 5 lb propane bottle I've been looking for an aluminum 5 lb propane bottle or even a 10 pounder and I can't find them anywhere
Menards. The 5-7 gallon versions must be in high demand, because last time I looked they were like $75 for one. Toting around a 20# tank is not an option for me, as we have enough crap the way it is.

We started refilling the 1# bottles. Current pricing at Family Farm and Home is around $7.00 for a 1#. I can exchange my grill tank for around $20. That gets me probably 17-18 refills (basically $1.50 per) as opposed to buying 18 new one pounders at a cost of $126.00.

There is a limit as to how many times you can refill them though. The valve that needs to be pushed to purge them prior to refilling is not built well, and we have noticed that some will leak. A little dawn dish soap over the valve after refill will tell you quickly. There is some guidance that also says you should not have refills inside the vehicle with you while traveling. Welp...I don't have a choice, but they are always in the backpack anyway.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I have 6 of the Flame King refillables. There seems to be a shortage, but you used to be able to get them at Menards for $12-14. There are a couple places online that have them for $19, so maybe that's the new price. Spendy, for sure, but even at $19, they'll pay for themselves over a few seasons. I like them for the convenience more than anything.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a friend who refuses to refill 1 lbers. So as of today I have 49 1 lbers. refilled a month ago at .94 per. bought a 5# postal scale at wally world. I never been able to fill to 1 lb. without having to take off and bleed so air out. I can get to an ounce or two + -. never want to go over 2 oz. If going out on quad #20 and 12 ft. hose can last a week.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts