close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Heading to Stonelick

Discussion in 'Carp Discussions' started by TimJC, Jul 3, 2004.

1. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

I'm off to Stonelick to hopefully break the LONG dry spell. If the lake is to crowded, however, I might just forget it. I hope the weather holds out, but if rain will make the fish bite I'll take that too. I'll post pics when I return if there is anything good to report. I'll taking the ultralight and some waxies just because I am expecting slow action (how's this for a good attitude).

2. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

I blanked yet again after 6 hours on the water.

3. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

Gettin' ready to hit it again tonight. I just need to find some bug spray and grab a bucket of chum. I should be fishing one of the pull-offs on 727 (between Woodville Pike/Newtonville Road and 133). I Drive an Orange Mazda3 5-door (lLic Plate ZOOMIN 3).

I'm gonna stay out as long as my bad shoulder allows.

4. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

Fished from 9p to 2a and didn't so much as get a run.

I ended up on the opposite side of the lake from where I had intended on fishing, and I was in 5-6ft water. I baited the swim up with mixed particles (mainly corn) and fished tuti fruti pescaviva over it. My other rod was setup off the chum with a snowman rigged redstar boilie from royal carp that had been soaking in their strawberry dip, and I finished this off with a PVA bag of chopped boilies and fish pellets. I had some activity in my swim but I got from it was a line bump every now and then. This all leads to 5 more unproductive hours on a lake that still leaves me carpless.

I think it is time to start considering a dedicated chumming campaign now. Before I can do this though I need to find a swim that I will have access to at almost all times and this is the real problem.

Anyone have any suggestions?

5. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Tim, you are having the same luck as I am, kinda depressing aint it?

6. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

Good to know. misery loves company, even if it is from a catman...

7. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Keep it cheap tim. Best way to get fish in the area is provide shelled corn that is boiled. Just keep dumping it out. 2-3 gallons per day for 3 or 4 days. Same area. Not all in 1 pile, but perhaps a 100' area? That's usually what I do.....and it's been working. Cheap, easy, and not complicated.

8. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

Went out tonight to start the campaign. I put in a total of 100lbs dry weight. I spread it out in three different swims. I hope to do this againt tomorrow and maybe even hit it tomorrow night.

9. Hey Tim, I admire your persistance to catch a carp from Stonelick. I live not far from it. I've never personally seen anyone pull one from there. They are there. You can see them swimming most any day. Now I was pondering about all the trout they release. What happens to them when the weather warms up? Do they endure. Do they die off in such a shallow lake? Something happens to them (you never see them dead, floating bellie up.) Could they (dead-dying) maybe be food for the carp? Can anyone tell me why they stock trout in April which is so close to heating up/spring & summer? All those fish in such a shallow lake that heats up pretty quickly. They should stock them (in my opinion) in the fall only. Raise the limit sence they will probabily die anyway..........oh yea, back to carp. Maybe you should chum w/trout, lol. Good luck to you in the hunt for the "stonelick carp"

10. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

Well I hear that there is a large flathead population in this lake and I'm sure that the trout don't go to waste (that is if you're a catfisherman).

Time for more chumming. I have made maps that diclose bank locations, and if I start to get into fish I might post them. I would definitely like more info on bank acces on this lake.

I took smartcast out last night and hit one swim marking 12 foot water or more in a cast. I am still tinkering with swim names and nothing deserves a name yet, but this one I think I might call the Table Swim.

I just got a call from work wanting me to go in early but this chumming is definitely my top priority right now.

11. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

haha gotta love it, keep it up and I'm sure you'll get into them eventually!

12. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

Just got back from adding another 10 gallons of maize (40lbs dry) in 4 swims. Hopefully the action gets going tonight or tomorrow.

13. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

good luck in your quest for stonelick carp dood..i may have to come down there and ca$h in on those chum you put out...................again.. :D i'm sure those fish are well fed by now... :p

14. catking

catking Banned

DA KING !!! took a short ride to Stonelick around 6 pm tonight. The lake is in EXCELLENT shape, and very few people were there. I guess I missed Timmy Boy :rolleyes: Good Luck to you !!! THE CATKING !!!

15. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

I meant I was going to be night fishing not this early bird senior dinner at 3pm sh!t. I plan on fishing after 10pm this week. I didn't make it out tonight so I MIGHT hit it tomorrow morning.

16. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

It's possible that some locals might get mad that I am showing some of these spots (though they are all pretty obvious) so get these while you can.

The arrows on the maps below show spots with easy bank access. The orange plus signs show areas that I still need to look into. Larger, uncropped versions of these maps can be found in my gallery Here and Here. If you click on the map (on these links) it will load the larger version which are 300KB and 400KB respectively. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This map is only good to show the lake depth as it is VERY outdated

I will some up the chumming campaign thus far:
    - Sunday Evening (7/11): I put 100# of corn in 3 swims. I hit E, F, and A all pretty evenly.

- Monday Afternoon (7/12): I put 10 gallons of soaked maize (field corn) in swims A, D, E and F.

- Tuesday Noon (7/13): I just got back from chumming 7 gallons in swims E, F and G.
    I will probably go out after work tonight (long after catking's bedtime) and hopefully reap the benefits of all this work. The spot I really want to hit is swim A (The Table Swim). I would have chummed this also but there were a couple guys already there. This particular spot offers access to 12 foot depths while the others only seem to offer 8 foot depths.

Any constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated (especially from those that know the lake).

17. I'd definitely say that spot A would be one of my top choices...one of my favorite spots, though, isn't even marked on your map :eek: . Anyway...i'm going to have to come down and fish this lake sometime soon...not sure when that will happen, though, but be sure to keep us updated. Hope your efforts pay off eventually...

18. catking

catking Banned

Like the carper boy said Tim, spot " A " is the best. In fact if standing at this spot, down to the right is EXCELLENT in the early morning for carp. Also, like carper boy said, some of the best spots are noy marked, but they also are harder to reach ;) But you have some good spots marked. Spot B is EXCELLENT early in the year and at night. Spot " H " is also good, in fact to the left of this spot is very good . Good Luck....... CATKING :cool:

19. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

Sure, take advantage of all my hard work. Just make sure to report your catches, and which spot you hit (if chummed), or better yet let me know when you'll be there...

20. Well...the way i see it, as much work as you're putting into chumming it, and as many spots as you have focused on, you're going to need at least another person or two to help you fish the lake in order to determine which spots hold the fish :D .

Oh, and if you haven't figured it out yet...EXCELLENT by Da King's standards when referring to Stonelick means that you MIGHT catch a carp if you fish that spot for a week straight :eek: .