Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my buddy are heading to Rocky River to try and land a steelhead. Never fished for them before. Looking for any tips!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Check out the steelhead section under the species section, lots of good info there. Key things are keep your bait bumping the bottom and moving the speed of the water flow if your bobber fishing. Should be a fun trip. Keep notes of the water flow for all your trips. Some days are way better then others.

·
1 fish is a he!! of alot more than none.
1,862 Posts
Try tomorrow. Too much water to be in prime today.
You might catch or find fish on slow inside bends off a main pool or inside bends of a riffle in pockets IMHO.
rickerd

·
1 fish is a he!! of alot more than none.
1,862 Posts
Zack,
I mentioned those spots because that is where I find them when water is high. tomorrow I expect them to be just off main flows at head of pools or in riffle pockets. The water temp looks ideal for this time of year BTW. Looks like swingtime if I were out. they might get on a nice upstream move during end of today and overnight.
Rickerd

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Zack,
I mentioned those spots because that is where I find them when water is high. tomorrow I expect them to be just off main flows at head of pools or in riffle pockets. The water temp looks ideal for this time of year BTW. Looks like swingtime if I were out. they might get on a nice upstream move during end of today and overnight.
Rickerd
I will keep this in mind. Appreciate the tips!

·
The Glove
216 Posts
I took the long drive from Columbus on Friday. It was a beautiful day, but I caught no fish and saw none caught. A few fishermen were out. Two favorite spots were occupied; two in one location and one in the other. Saturday should be better (clearer) with the level still falling, but it will probably be crowded, being a weekend. I have caught zero in two trips, so I have no tips. Except to enjoy this January weather break.
rocky river.jpg

·
Registered
717 Posts
I tried it 5 times last year and was able to capitalize on 4 of my outings; the one skunk outing I was experimenting with various things. I went back to what had worked and was on them again. I may be getting out there soon - not sure when as I got plenty on my table already. Here was my post of my first outings in case it helps:

https://www.ohiogamefishing.com/threads/hooked-on-steelhead.325257/

Reactions: Specktur
1 - 9 of 9 Posts