Heading out today

Discussion in 'Steelhead Talk' started by liquidsoap, Feb 25, 2009.

1. liquidsoap

liquidsoap Pay-it-foward fisherman

Hitting the river for the first time today in several months.
    I have been awfully sick this week and I am hoping fresh air will do me good.

Will post how I do.

2. Yea I know what you mean. I'm watching the clock and can't wait to 2pm to get out and hit the river.

3. Good luck Nick, you should get into them today. It was nice around 10:00 not needing to clean ice out of my guides every 3 minutes. I know how you love this warm weather!

4. liquidsoap

Cut the trip real short because I am pretty sick.
    Went to 3 different spots 2 near the mouth and 1 way (WAY) upstream.
    Each place was packed.
    People were parked in the grass at morely ford which I got a kick out of.
    O well.
    Only got the line wet for about 5 minutes wasnt going to put up with crowds.
    Good luck to whoever else went out today.

5. From what I saw you didn't miss much. Fished with Jason from Pulse Jigs for a quite a while. He went 1 for 2 I didnt even have a strike. Fished several different areas. That was the only fish we saw landed the few hours I was there. Weather was great and the water looked great, couldn't believe how slow it was. Here is a pic of the one I landed yesterday.[​IMG]

6. BigDaddy300

BigDaddy300 multi species angler

What time were you there? I left the river around 12:30.

7. liquidsoap

Nice job!
    I have fished with jason Several times now.
    He is sure a great fisherman and a fun man to fish with.
    In fact he tought me a lot of what I know today!
    Nice job BTW

Thats about the time I arrived.
    I thought about going today but the Flu is just not working out.
    Good luck to all that go today.

8. Flu might make things difficult but the flow rate over 600 and rising will probably present more of a challenge. Should start dropping just in time for the next round of rain.

9. Clayton

Clayton Fly guy

Any idea what kinds of flies would work with the given conditions, say, this sunday?

*hopes for ideas*

10. BigDaddy300

BigDaddy300 multi species angler

I went and scouted it earlier and it didn't look good. You won't be missing anything. More people out today than yesterday when I was there.

11. something really bright, I'd say. They just aren't going to see a fly in dirty water. Is it allowable for a purist to float a 3" orange gulp trout worm on a plain hook thru a run? The color and scent should help with the "stained" water conditions. I know on the Columbia, they successfully fish such things when the water is muddy.