headin to erie w atv ice fishin..what do i need?

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by fishmaniac, Nov 18, 2007.

1. fishmaniac

fishmaniac OGF Team-charter member

Headin up to erie islands and presque this winter..could anybody help me come up with a gear list of neededs if you will as well as nice convenience items..while icefishing..and emerg items in case of atv probs..and thoughts re what all i should bring..COULD SOMEBODY POST AN ICEFISHING GEAR CHECKLIST? A THOROUGH ONE FOR THE GUY WHO HAS OR WANTS EVERYTHING..thanks...Tim

2. NorthSouthOhioFisherman

NorthSouthOhioFisherman The Young Outdoorsman

well
    1.Boards if ya gotta jump a crack gotta have decent boards!
    2.Normal ice gear-poles minnows lures shanty auger
    3.Rope ice pics life jacket in case of fall through
    4.chains on ur 4wheeler if not youll be slippin
    5.ice pics on feet again if not youll be slippin
    6.buckshots sweedish pimples and airplanes are good lures

3. hearttxp

hearttxp Lake Erie Charter Captain

well If your budget will allow it I would say a surrvial suit. It is well worth the money. Just like insurance. It is Great when you finally need to use it. It could save your life. I will not go on the ice anymore with out it.
    And one think that NorthSouthOhioFisherman forgot is your Vexlar!! Otherwise you are just fishing Blind !! Just my opinion !! Good luck and be safe!

4. A Vexilar is the most important thing that I take to Erie to ice fish. I would give up my fishing pole, and hand line before I would go without my Vexilar!!!!

5. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

a vexilar makes you feel 40 degrees warmer too. before i got a shanty id be half frozen and not care as long as i could watch the lights! :D