close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Headed for Thurns

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by FOSR, Sep 23, 2017.

1. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

I'm lucky to have an excellent meat market and I'll bet a lot of you know a similar place.

http://www.thurnsmeats.com/

I don't yet know what I'll get. Shopping is an adventure.

Saugeyefisher and fastwater like this.
  2. When I lived in Cols. and bought meat from the meat case, Thurns was the place. Always fresh cut and good quality. They are an excellent shop for sure.
    For those that have their deer/wild game processed, Thurns does an excellent job as well.
    http://www.thurnsmeats.com/pages/wild_game

If I was buying a side of beef, I'd head on over to Carfagna's.
    Always enjoyed walking into the meat locker and picking the side I wanted. And the quality of meat and butchering was top notch as well.

Saugeyefisher likes this.

3. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

I'm kind of trolling here to see if people around the state will chime in with their own local markets.

We've been going to Thurns since I was a little kid. When my mom bought bacon, she would demand to inspect each slab to pick the one she wanted. Their bacon isn't shot full of water like grocery store bacon. We use their smoked hocks as a base for barley or split-pea soup. Their garlic bratwurst will make your car reek.

Easy to find, take I-71 south to Greenlawn Avenue, turn right and don't straighten the steering wheel. You'll be in their parking lot.

acklac7 likes this.
  4. ress

ress

We have 2 excellent meat markets here in Findlay. Brinkman's and Millers. Brinkman's has a larger selection. Bucyrus Brats are the best. They have a 40' long case! Ground Lamb is frozen but still awesome.

5. Barb & Patties in Mentor is a good Old World butcher shop. Great brats! My go to for steaks.....

6. Muddy

Muddy

I've ate some crazy stuff from Thurns that is always delicious. There head, liver, and blood products are all awesome. Their deer products are great. I had them smoke a deer quarter last year that was pretty good. My favorite local meat market is Mosiers IGA in Raymond. Great products and low prices.

7. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

Oh man I know that IGA in Raymond, used to get their breakfast sausage.

8. Used to be a family owned IGA on Parson Ave years ago that had great meats as well. They also shut their domestic butchering down for the week of deer shotgun season for deer processing. They made some fabulous deer products.

9. Vermilion Farm Market has a great variety of cased sausages.

10. buckeyebowman

buckeyebowman On the back 9 and loving it!

There's a place in Columbiana Co, called Chamberlain's Meats. They raise their own hogs and steers, and the grass and grain they are fed on. It's about a 50 mile round trip for me, so I don't get down there as often as I'd like. Bought a bunch of their smoked bacon for my BLT's w/my home grown tomatoes. Outstanding!

I've heard some folks on the forum comment favorably about Meijer's. We're going to get our first one. The old Austintown High School has been torn down, and the land is being prepared for construction.

11. There was also a good meat shop just up the street at Parsons and Frebis but it to is now closed. There is another good shop over on the 3C Highway. I have stopped a few times on the way home from camper at the meat shop on 19 between Oak Harbor and Fremont and they have good meat, and some really good softball sized hocks... When kids were home I would go to either Athens or Gallipolis Livestock market the week after the county fair and buy one of the 4H steers and pig.. Always got good meat at a good price..

fastwater likes this.
  12. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

Meijer's is awesome. The prices/selection can't be beat and their customer service is un-unparalleled. It's like the best qualities from Target / Walmart rolled into one.

13. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

And next time I fish Greenlawn I'll make it a point to stop by thurns, Garlic Brats and Bacon have definitely caught my attention...

14. Hasselbach Meats on SR 19 between Fremont and Oak Harbor is my go to place for the best meats. Which reminds me, I need to go get some more thick PORK CHOPS.

Slatebar likes this.
  15. buckeyebowman

buckeyebowman On the back 9 and loving it!

The property is completely fenced off now, but I spotted what looked like blueprints posted on one of the gates. So, I stopped in on my way to Aldi's. The prints are for the storm water management plan for the site, and man is it extensive! Looks like this is going to be a huge project. And the name attached to it is Meijer's.

This is a double plus for the area. We were able to get rid of that old eyesore of a building, and get a big new grocery store to compete with overpriced Giant Eagle! Seemed like every time someone on OGF posted a great price for port butts for smoking, it was at Meijer's.

16. Have never really grocery shopped Meijer, and therefore, never paid any attention to their meats. Was by one the other day, thought of this thread and decided to stop in to take a look. Their meats looked very good for a chain store. Really liked many of their cuts on both beef and pork. Prices were fair as well.
    Think I'll be trying them out.

17. I bought a thick T-Bone the other week from Meijers in Lancaster and it was actually very good. Another good place in Canal Winchester is Blystone Meats.

fastwater likes this.
  18. ress

ress

Meat at Meijers is good. Seafood is real good too. You need to buy from the case though, not frozen or packaged.

fastwater likes this.
  19. Thanks for the heads up ress.

20. Matt63

Matt63

Frobose meat locker in Pemberville is my go to. Most of.the meat comes from their family farm. Homemade balogna is awsome and thick sliced bacon.

erie sniper likes this.