close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Headed back the Holla

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by ShakeDown, Dec 30, 2004.

1. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Realized my TN license is good until march, so a buddy and I are headed down to Dale Hollow Jan 14-17th for some winter float-n-fly fishing for bronzebacks.

Found a sweet deal on a motel (located at Cedar Hill, by the dam) with a kitchenette for $45 a night.

We're leaving Friday after work, fishing Sat/Sun/Half Day Monday...just hope the weather holds out for us. Should be a great primer for our trip back down first week of March :D :D

Hopefully we'll have something to report on when we return!

2. That is a good Resort have stayed there for many years the people are very helpful and its in a very good place if you want to have a real good time when you go in March rent a house boat from them that is the best thing we (5 Guys ) did that for about 8 yrs going to go again next yr Good LUck on your trip

3. Take photos...
    They will warm our souls :D

Come on spring... turkey and poles ;)

4. Fletch

Fletch FishOn

We were going to go on the 16th but not sure of the exact dates right now. What do you think the best time will be?

5. ShakeDown

Actually, I just switched our reservations back to Horse Creek. They gave us a room for 2 WITH a boat slip for $35/night ;)

Fletch...we've got 12 or so guys (mostly OGF guys) headed down March 10-15. Staying at Horse Creek.

6. Fletch

Fletch FishOn

Shoot man, I should hitch the boat up and come down there with you guys.

I've always heard that February and March are the best times to go for a trophy.

7. My son and i have stayed at Horse creek its ok but while your down there i would check out other places for your other trip cuz its not the greatest place in the world to stay it is in a good location when you come out of horse creek there is a Island on your right thats a good point for smallies make sure you go look at cedar hill iits alot better place and just acoss the lake

8. Jack at Horse Creek is a great host, but there accomodations are average at best, and there no- wake zone takes forever, but you can' t beat the location for fishing. Cedar hill is about 15 minutes closer to Ohio by car. No matter where you stay you will be fishing Dale Hollow. :D :D :D

9. ShakeDown

Fletch, you're welcome to join us.

Tom...I look at it like Las Vegas...I don't plan on spending much time in the room, and when I am I'll either be sleeping or loaded :D

The folks at Horse Creek took real good care of us last year, even though we didn't stay with them (we launched there every day). They are gave us a sweet deal on our booking this year.

I must admit, from what I saw last year, the cabins didn't look like anything to write home about. But hey, we're there to fish right? ;)

10. Fletch

Fletch FishOn

Hey Shakedown, how do you guys fish for smallies at that time of year (in case I come down)? You know, what baits, slow/fast etc...

11. SHAKEDOWN your right about spending time in the cabin and its good enough for guys i forgot to tell u about the little bay on other side of the island at end of horse creek its good the to and all along the side there is a good fishing there is a shelf there and a nice point good luck and have fun sometime you should try renting a houseboat that is really alot of fun and you dont have to return everyday

12. ShakeDown

I've always wanted to do the houseboat thing on DH and take the family. Awesome lake, and I'm foaming at the mouth to return :D

13. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

If your foaming at the mouth, then your getting a cabin by yourself. The rest of us will get another :D You make sure youmark all the good spots for us Shake. When we get there in March, all we'll have to do is Fish! :D

14. shakedown take lots of pictures let me know how you do. i'am going down april 16 th. is it to late for the float and flie that time of the year.i've never fished that way but would like to try it. good luck and catch a trophy. :) :) :)

15. ShakeDown

Markin spots? Sheesh...I'll be lucky to remember the plug this time ;)

bb...the month you go isn't as important as the water temps for f-n-f. You need 50 degree water or colder for those smallies to suspend for f-n-f. April is probably too late for those colder temps, but if they have a late spring then you might luck out.

I fished it 3 years ago in april, and took everything shallow on cranks.

If we have something worth photographing, we'll take so many pictures you'll get sick of lookin at em :D If the forecast holds true (which I hope it doesn't) it's callin for low 40's and sunny skies. The 40's are perfect, but the sunny skies doesn't help in that clear water.

I hope we can get into the groove next weekend. I'm ready for my first fish of 2005!

16. thanks for the info shakedown,i'll be waiting to see alot of pictures.
    baby bass :) :) :)

17. shakedown just put in zip code 38551 for celina, tenn weather. i hope the long range forecast is wrong.if not you have the luck i have when i plan a fishing trip.good luck baby bass.

18. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Good luck, catch a bunch and take lots of pics!

19. Freeze

Freeze Cisco Kid

Dang all this DH talk already is killing me. We still have 92 days until our trip, not that I'm counting. If this mild weather continues, a short early trip will have to be planned. Good luck Shake ... BTW do you use a fly rod or will a spinning rod work ok?