Ohio Game Fishing banner

Headboats on Erie

2K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  Evinrude58 
#1 ·
OGF Team - looking for some input. I have read posts where people are going out on headboats on Erie. My 17 year old son and I have never fished on Erie and aren't really set up for walleye fishing. We do fish from the bank on inland/metropark lakes and rivers sometimes.

The headboat seems like a reasonably affordable option to get out on the lake and maybe catch our first walleyes. Do you think renting the right equipment from the outfit and going out for a day trip could be a good introduction to the lake as well as some quality time together?

Any tips or suggestions?

Much thanks in advance!

#3 ·
Try Fisherman's Wharf or Drawbridge Marina out of Port Clinton area. To me best on the lake. Best time for them is usually April-June. My buddy Mike K. should be chiming in about Tibbels too here very shortly....lol...They are good too!! I haven't been following any of them lately but fishing is still decent that way so they still could afford a good chance. You will cast and drift with any of those. If trolling is of interest, see if you can find a 6 pack that may offer up split trips to get you that experience. If you haven't done it before your trip may start off as, hey fish on.... mate gets it set for you and you reel. Some as the day goes on will show you how to set up, some won't.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I used to frequent tibbles. Nice folks, very helpful but I'd hope they all would be! There's usually some helpful fisherman who may be willing to help you out if they're catching and you're not. It's a great inexpensive way to experience the lake. As mentioned, eerie dearie and or a crawler harness with an egg weight can work really well. If you can, get there early and try to grab the back corner of boat for a little added elbow room.

#10 ·
The suggestions have already been given to which companies offer trips in PC or out towards Marblehead. I have fished on both, early on, even though I had a boat. I wanted to learn techniques or places to fish through the crowd. Great experiences with both.

Use a shorter rod, spinning is best to get longest cast. Using weight forward lures or harnesses. Some days one works better than another. Harnesses keep it simple like captain Mike's harness. Weight forwards in gold, Green/yellow, or Green/ white will get you through most situations this time of year.

Get there early to pick your seat. Maybe 1 hour early. The corners or the bow have the most advantage to reach areas others cannot. But you can still catch fish from anywhere if you are fishing the best way.

Rickerd

#22 ·
Great advise!
You really need to get there early. Regulars stake out the corners... getting stuck in the middle really cramps your style.
Have not been up this year at all but in the past they will tie up rods for all the regulars so it does not matter how early you get there you will get stuck on the side. I have been there 2 hours early in the am and been there before the boat got back from the morning for the afternoon trip and had the first mate tie up rods before we were allowed on. This was on fisherman’s wharf. I do think they try the hardest to get you on fish but it makes me salty when it’s first come first serve but it’s really not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#27 ·
Out of Port Clinton I use SHore Nuff, 20 trips with them and never a bad experience. Have never tried Fishermans Wharf and only used Sassy Sal's once but wasn't that impressed with them. Only one I DO NOT recommend use to go out of WildWood but now goes out of Eastlake.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.