Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only fished Lake Erie a dozen times. Being from Canton, I do not make it up there often. I know a few spots from shore to hit that are hit and miss. Usually just head up to Port Clinton and go out on the Sassy Sal headboat. Last few times have been somewhat disappointing.

I'm sure a lot of you Erie vets know of the crawler harnesses they make and sale. They work, but seem to catch mostly smaller throwbacks. No legal size fish. Ever try Berkley minnows? The saugeye in the inland lakes kill them on jigheads. Was thinking about putting two on a crawler harness.

Also, on a headboat, how would you go about casting jerkbaits? From shore, I just tie a snap to the line and clip on Perfect 10s, HJs and shadow raps..... but miles out, in deeper, stronger water, will they run deep enough and maintain proper motion?

One other thing... I love some nice size channel cats. From shore, chicken liver, minnow and shiner heads and shrimp 9 x out of 10, bring in Lake Erie channels. I usually carolina rig one pole baited with something of what I mentioned on headboats while casting another pole for walleye. I have yet to bring in any cats offshore but seem to get them from shore. What's the secret? Also, never seem to get into any white bass offshored. When I get tired of throwing back non keepable walleye, I switch species. Have yet to get into a large school of white basd.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
You are free to use your liking on a headboat, but, they will let ya know before you board the boat what is working the best. You have a chance to purchase whats needed before and possibly, on the boat. You can bring a bunch of lures, worm burners, harnesses and some weight forwards but the spaces are limited. They usually supply bait. As far as the short fish, vary your presentation a bit, up higher, down lower , speed, do what others are and you'll catch fish. There are some monster cats out in the deep, as well as some 15 lb sheepheads, you'll love that battle..

Reactions: StarkFisherman

·
Registered
586 Posts
Erie dearies have been producing a ton of eyes in the western basin for decades all you gotta do is vary your retrieve until you hit the zone, its best to be on the bow or stern because you can use the drift to your advantage. After you get your 6 a small hopkins spoon will wear out the sheepheads.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Erie dearies have been producing a ton of eyes in the western basin for decades all you gotta do is vary your retrieve until you hit the zone, its best to be on the bow or stern because you can use the drift to your advantage. After you get your 6 a small hopkins spoon will wear out the sheepheads.
How do you rig the spoon? Tie directly and cast out or rig with a sinker? Seems the water may be too strong to drop a straight spoon down, but I don't know. Still learning how to rig for casting on Erie.

·
Registered
586 Posts
How do you rig the spoon? Tie directly and cast out or rig with a sinker? Seems the water may be too strong to drop a straight spoon down, but I don't know. Still learning how to rig for casting on Erie.
Vertical jig the hopkins spoon tied directly to your main line

1 - 5 of 5 Posts