Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

On monday we will get on a headboat at the Fisherman's Wharf. This will be our first time fishing at the Erie and i want to help our luck a bit using your experience :) Any tips, ideas? Also, what should we take? I think we have to have a big cooler and food, anything else?

Thanks so much!
greg

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
You won't need a big cooler unless you are bringing a lot of food. Make sure you bring a stringer and identify it someway so you don't get your fish mixed up. When you catch a fish, the captain or first mate will put your fish on your stringer, and then throw it in with all of the other fish in a giant cooler. If you've never been on Erie before and you're not sure if you'll get seasick, I would take something like Bonine. Guys are doing well with hair jigs, vibe's, or jigheads with twister tails. They should have everything at the Wharf. I might be going out on Thursday so please post back how you did.

·
Banned
544 Posts
get there early.......a good chance they might board u by you ETA....this is important as u want to be seated in the very back of the boat,,,,second choice would be the very front of the boat.....you'll see why.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Where does the headboat take you out at? What city? What time do they leave? I would like to go out if it is within a hour away from me. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
dip
578 Posts
the few times my pop and i went (years ago) the guy at the very front catches many fish while people on one side or the other are screwed because the drift puts their bait under the boat which results in boo-coo snaggz.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
this is who we go with:
http://www.wecatchfish.com/

The boat leaves at 7 am (not 8!), you dont have to have reservations, say hello if you are there, there will be 3 of us, easy to recognize (I doubt any one else will speak polish)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey leckig, did you there this past weekend or still planning to go? Me and my buddy just came back from our weekend trip @ fishermans wharf. Let me know and I'll be happy to provide info if needed.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Sorry for such a late reply, we were tired yesterday, I mean really tired.

You can start laughing now: I did not catch a single fish. There were 3 of us. Tomasz, Michal (not on the picture) and I. Tomasz got 8 nice walleyes, he was one of the best on the boat. Michal and I got none... There was 19 of us on the boat or maybe 15, almost everybody got a fish (or a dozen!) with the sad exception of myself and Michal.

Almost everyone used the same lure: heavy hairy jighead. I think it is that popping technique which makes the difference, we tried it all with Michal, the fish just did not like us. Most people used mono, michal and I had power pro but tomasz had fireline and he still got 8 fish, so I dont know it thats the reason or not.

But we did have a great day. The whole boat limited out in no more than 3 hours so we ended fishing much earlier. Everyone got 4 fish (the limit goes up to 6 TODAY!!!) and they do trurly taste excellent. I am glad littleking showed me how to fillet a fish in the American way, it would have taken me 4 hours instead of one if i was cleaning the fish in the polish way.

Again, thanks all for the tips, go up there to Port Clinton, the bite is amazing for most people :)

·
Registered
698 Posts
Where were you on the boat? Were you using a stinger? How about gear, maybe too stiff / flexable of a rod?
Throw more details out to the board , I believe you will get answers for your next trip.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well, the only difference between me and Tomasz was he had 14lb fireline (black) and I had 20lb green powerpro. Everything else the same, his lure was almost identical (his had a white painted eye on the jig). He was on the back of the boat, i was on a side, but at one point we switched and he got two fish on my spot i got nothing on his....

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I would definately downsize your mainline to about 8 lb. mono or an equivalent superline when fishing either jigs or casting harnesses. Feel is everything with a jigbite and that superline is so sensitive that you feel everything. That may have been your problem.

What type of rod do you use?

·
State record bass or bust
1,810 Posts
I think you were right Greg. Its all about the snap or hop the specific angler puts on the jig. The last time I fished there a few weeks ago they were killing it when we'd snap it straight up 2 feet off the bottom repeatedly.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I think you were right Greg. Its all about the snap or hop the specific angler puts on the jig. The last time I fished there a few weeks ago they were killing it when we'd snap it straight up 2 feet off the bottom repeatedly.
I agree. I wasn't getting any action at all in the beginning of that trip. Once I was able to get the technique down, the fish were on!

Thanks for the report, leckig. Myself, my dad, and some guys I work with are going to give the headboat a shot this weekend. I'll let you all know how we do.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Ditto, to what hetfield said, i was fishing with steve and i was not boating nearly as many fish as him, steve put his pole down to net a fish for someone and i used his pole and 10 seconds later i had a fish on !! i was useing 30lb power pro so i put 20 florocarbon leader on, only thing i could find in camp! when other people are boating fish i think its the technic that your using!! prier to going out the last couple of weeks with someone i usualy fished by myself at turtle creek, but going out with other people lets you and them see what you are doing wrong !! i was happy catching a couple of fish but now look out!! i had 32 fish landed with no net, so im sure i caught atleast 80 fish!! i am a believer in using a leader now!! shortdrift always preached to use 1 but i was a little hard headed and wanted to do it my way!!

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
What is the smallest fluorocarbon you could get away with? I think all I have is 8 lb or 6 lb.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts