Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be taking my first Erie fishing trip this weekend with Shore-Nuf and I have a few questions. What have the walleye been taking lately? What type of line should I use or is strength the only important thing? What do they (Shore-Nuf) do if it rains? Can I take a small cooler with drinks and snacks or do I buy it from them? Is it prohibited to take a handheld GPS? Are there any tips or tricks that I should know about for my first time? Thanks in advance for the advise.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I will be taking my first Erie fishing trip this weekend with Shore-Nuf and I have a few questions. What have the walleye been taking lately? What type of line should I use or is strength the only important thing? What do they (Shore-Nuf) do if it rains? Can I take a small cooler with drinks and snacks or do I buy it from them? Is it prohibited to take a handheld GPS? Are there any tips or tricks that I should know about for my first time? Thanks in advance for the advise.
I would guess they have been getting them on mayfly rigs or weight forward spinners, like an Earie Dearie. You should be good with 8 lb mono. They will go out in the rain unless it's a bad thunderstorm or the waves are too big. You can take a small cooler with drinks and snacks, and a GPS. As far as a tip, get the bow or stern. You wouldn't believe the difference. Make sure you cast and don't just drop it over the edge. Most of the fish will come on the swing. Good luck!

G

·
Most likey you will be fishing mayfly riggs or weapons. They are a short worm harness with a sinker (egg) 3/8 up to 5/8 depends on the wind and waves. Take a stringer with your name on it string will go in to a communty ice chest that is why the name. The capt will say they are at 15 down to the bottom. Cast out and count down to 15 reel in slow. Do this a few times and then do deeper cout to 17 or 20 do it again. If someone start getting them watch how they are doing it count down when they cast cuts down on the learning curve or ask. Some time a pause will do it. Pick the front or back this way you can fish the swing. He will flip for side to side so everyone get a chance. They will tell you at luanch what they are getting them on. Take plenty of worms white perch will be a pain. I would use a braid line so you can cast farther out, but a min of 10lbs they will probably not net sheephead. My biggest hint is to ask question and watch the people getting them on the boat. color rig and presentation.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot guys. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks again

·
Mongo
515 Posts
I was up with shore-nuf on the 20th and did real well. I also went out in my boat once my dad brought it up on Monday and Tuesday and we limited both days. I can tell you that the best color harness for us was a gold blade and lime green beads. I tie my own and my favorite size is a 3 1/2 deep cup hammered gold blade and a number 4 hammered gold blade is also a good choice. You will do better with these sizes compared to a number 3 blade. Gold with red beads is also on of my favorite color patterns. We usually use 1/2 or 3/4 oz barrel sinkers in front of our harnesses depending on depth and waves. I use 6lb mono as my main line and I don't have any problems and it also lets me cast farther.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts