close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hay Bailing

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by PoleSnatcher, May 26, 2005.

1. Anyone here around centeral/southrn Ohio need help bailing hay? I used to do it all the time and sort of miss it and some extra money could help too :D

If you need help and it works with my work schedule I could help you out depending on location of course.

2. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

First off Polesnatcher to my knowledge we have never met? But I would like to suggest that you seek some SERIOUS counceling :D !!! Miss hay bailing, HA! That's a good one, I guess I could see what you would miss; the scratched up arms, 95 degree days with 95% humidity, being in the top of a hay barn with absolutely no breeze blowing, throwing 60-80 lb bails of hay over your head, having a skunk asleep in the hay laying in the field and when it goes through the bailer it is not a happy camper:eek:.
    On the other hand, good for you, if you are willing to do it, it shows your not at all lazy and well motivated! :cool:
    HA, miss bailing hay, that's a good one! ;)
    By the way, I help 2 of our local farmers bail every year. They let me hunt and sure are happy when extra help arrives.

3. I have met the snatch and I can tell YES he does need some help!:D
    I miss being young but do NOT miss bailing.

4. Buddy punk you beat me to it :confused: How could anyone miss it?

5. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

The hardest work I ever did, bar none!

6. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Another experiance in life I've missed & don't mind at all..... ;)

7. I did plenty of it when I was younger and I was like Polesnatcher. I did really enjoy it. Of course I viewed it as excellent training for the upcoming football season while getting paid at the same time. But since I no longer play football and I am no longer young I can say that my view now is more like the rest of these folks. I don't really care if I never again stand in the top of a barn in 90°+ weather tossing bales of hay or straw.:D

Needless to say it was one of the harder jobs that I had as a youngster as well.

8. I bailed megga hay/straw growing up - worked for one of the largest private hay/straw farms in Ohio. Hard work no doubt, but some of my best memories. We loaded semi trailors and trucked down to Kentucky several times a year to those million $ horse farms - good times!

I work in an office now, and there are many days I'd love to trade a day on the wagon for a day in the office peering outdoors.

9. You have a point there Fish-N-Fool![​IMG]

10. I'm with you polesnatcher and fish n fool. I didn't mind bailing. The farmer we bailed for had a pond and he let us swim in it after bailing and he always had a case of ice cold beer waiting after we were finished. I've offered to help farmers bail for free in exchange for bow hunting privelges. If anyone knows anyone that would like to make this trade around the Columbus area let me know.

11. I always thought of it as conditioning for football also.
    One think I sure do miss was the people i worked for always cooked a big lunch for me, plus breakfast in the morning if I got there early enough and after the first time i had breakfast there i made sure I always got there early enough! Heck they would fix dinner for me if we worked late. Heck I would have worked free if they would have just fed me.

12. twistertail - I forgot about the cooking!lol Seen some of the largest feasts ever at the end of a long day - looked like the holidays every night at the one place I worked for years.

13. Hey Dave, seeing your post reminds me of helping out on my great uncle's farm bailing hay in the summer. I started off on the wagon putting the bales on the elevator and then moved into the barn a few summers later. Yes it was EXTREMELY HOT and ITCHY sometimes, but I did like it. It was the only workout I got during the summer and helped somewhat for basketball. Hope you can find some bailing somewhere!

14. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I thought something may be wrong with me since I miss putting up hay. What I wouldn't give to be a teenager working on the farm rather than being stuck in this office.

15. Yes being stuck in an office SUCKS BIG TIME! I bet I would not last a half hour on a waggon anymore.

16. How nice it is to see you guys reminencing about the days gone buy. I would love to meet the guy or gal who invented the round baler and thank him. The memories of hay fields: hot, heavy bales, snakes, yellow jackets, stuck tractors, no elevators, throw the hay on the wagon, through the hay into the barn loft, ect, ect. The words we always hated to hear from dad at the end of the day, "boys it feels like rain we had better get the hay in the loft". The three of had just spent all day loading 900 bales and now it is time to unload or as we put it, load them into the barn. Around 2:00 AM we would finish. The next day we would get the call from other family members or neighbors to help them. Hard work yes and there was always some fun in doing it. I want someone to explain how that worked out. My dad has moved to the round baler and now we just have the fun with out the work. I help load 500 bales last year just to get permission to grouse hunt.

17. Anybody remember the small round bales, or have to put up squares by yourself? I do NOT miss going around and picking all those bales up, only to have to restack them again in the barn. :rolleyes: When we first bought our haybine I put up 600 square bales by myself just so I could use it. :D

18. I remember the 1st time I baled hay. I was 11 years old the the guy had a kick bailer and said "just stand there in the waggon and I'll get a few bales in there and show you how to stack them". Well little did I know that a bale of hay was going to come shooting up in the air about a thousand feet and moving a million miles an hour, scared the crap out of me. So I'm standing there watching these bales of hay getting shot at me like they were coming out of a tennis ball cannon and at some point I over came the initial shock and thought I could catch one, I could'nt!:D Got knocked right on my butt, after that the guy decided to show me how to stack it. I guess maybe it wasnt all bad, I do have a lot of great memories working on farms growing up one of them that is NOT a good memmory is cleaning out the pig barn, now that I did hate.:S :S :eek:

19. There's 26 acres @ my place just callin' your name ;) You can ride the wagon and stack since I know you got sea legs from riding those barge wakes on the Ohio river :rolleyes: Swing by and pick-up "DAKING" and we'll stress test his old ticker. The next morning you'll know the location of every joint in your body.

Sliprig

20. sgofish

sgofish AEP or Bust

:p Oh, the food!!!!!!! How on earth did those ladies, now this is nearly 45 years ago, get all that food ready, serve it hot, then "force" you to have some fresh dessert? From chicken to beef to sausage, potatoes, corn and green beans, fresh bread and homemede molassas, apple pie and cherry cobbler. You had to work hard all day just to be able to waddle away from the table.