Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK bird watchers, I know this is not a great picture as it did not turn out with the gray sky behind it but can anyone tell me what kind of bird this is?

Thanks for any help.... :)

·
Original OGF Staff member and owner
13,432 Posts
It's some kind of a hawk for sure. Not sure which. Looks real close to a red tail but the tail is a little different. If you hear the call it sends out you'll know for sure. Hawks do have a very familair sound.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But when I looked up red tail hawk on the net , that's the first thing I noticed was the tail and how it looked different than the pictures I found. :confused:

·
SOLID MEAT
5,738 Posts
That looks very similar to an osprey. I would probably lean towards this since it has what appears to be a fish in it's talons. where was the pic taken?

·
OSU outdoorsman
2,230 Posts
it looks to be an Osprey to me. Is that a fish that it has, as Ospreys are mainly fish hunters which gives them the nickname "fish Eagle" There aren't many nesting pairs in ohio(15-20) And I actually just saw one two weeks ago in Cincy while fishing a lake. I beleive it was one from the mill creek pair that has a nest down here.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AS much as I hate to admit it. I didn't see that as a fish I thought it was it's wing, but I definitely see it now. I looked up osprey on the net and it definitely could be one. The pics were taken 8/21 at CC. :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
I did a little work on the image with Photoshop Elements.

Scott

·
SOLID MEAT
5,738 Posts
ospreys are fairly common sights in NE ohio. I usually see some where ever i go. Nimisila has a pair, along with some at the other portage lakes. mogadore even gets visits.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Well fellas i can put this one to rest for you.....i grew up on the chesapeake bay....where every day board had a nesting pair (and there is alot of dayboards in the bay).....and that there is most definetely a OSPREY or fishhawk....i think they are second only to the bald eagle as far as beauty. Any they are awesome to watch while they are fishing.

Mitch

1 - 20 of 24 Posts