close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hawk? or other?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BANDIT, Aug 23, 2004.

1. OK bird watchers, I know this is not a great picture as it did not turn out with the gray sky behind it but can anyone tell me what kind of bird this is?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for any help.... :)

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

It's some kind of a hawk for sure. Not sure which. Looks real close to a red tail but the tail is a little different. If you hear the call it sends out you'll know for sure. Hawks do have a very familair sound.

3. But when I looked up red tail hawk on the net , that's the first thing I noticed was the tail and how it looked different than the pictures I found. :confused:

4. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

That looks very similar to an osprey. I would probably lean towards this since it has what appears to be a fish in it's talons. where was the pic taken?

5. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

it looks to be an Osprey to me. Is that a fish that it has, as Ospreys are mainly fish hunters which gives them the nickname "fish Eagle" There aren't many nesting pairs in ohio(15-20) And I actually just saw one two weeks ago in Cincy while fishing a lake. I beleive it was one from the mill creek pair that has a nest down here.

6. AS much as I hate to admit it. I didn't see that as a fish I thought it was it's wing, but I definitely see it now. I looked up osprey on the net and it definitely could be one. The pics were taken 8/21 at CC. :)

7. :D ..... :D ........ Come on guys its a Chicken Hawk looking for Chickens...Rich

8. I did a little work on the image with Photoshop Elements.
    [​IMG]

Scott

9. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

ospreys are fairly common sights in NE ohio. I usually see some where ever i go. Nimisila has a pair, along with some at the other portage lakes. mogadore even gets visits.

10. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Beat me to it, goingfishin....my thoughts too.

Attached Files:

11. Great minds think alike, mrfishohio!!

Scott

12. CountryKat

CountryKat Fish On!!!

Thats a big crappie it has!! My guess would have been a Falcon but the tail may not be right.

13. With that latest picture, I'd say there's no doubt it's an osprey.

14. that crappie has a good hold on that bird...lol

15. ShoreBoundOne

ShoreBoundOne lengthy Member

Well fellas i can put this one to rest for you.....i grew up on the chesapeake bay....where every day board had a nesting pair (and there is alot of dayboards in the bay).....and that there is most definetely a OSPREY or fishhawk....i think they are second only to the bald eagle as far as beauty. Any they are awesome to watch while they are fishing.

Mitch

16. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Actually, I have a few pictures of ospreys at CC from a few years ago, in the North pool to the West of CC feeder creek. I think I know that tree. ;)

17. catking

catking Banned

My first guess was a fishhawk........ Nice looking birds. THE CATKING !!!