Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was the end of October my wife and I went down to Tennessee for a little while, and on the way back we went through Kentucky for her birthday. I guess going into a cave has been on our bucket list of things to do. I was a little worried she might freak out of get Claustrophobic in a tight space. The first cave we hit was Crystal Onyx. Man that place was super cool. Michigan couple bought the place in 2010 and it took them 4 years of digging and fixing the place up to get it to open to the public again. It's not well known like Mammoth, but we both enjoyed it a lot more. It was pretty cool having the owner give us tour around the cave with some history to go along with it. I'm curious now that we have experienced a cave, if there are any other good ones out there that you may have went to? I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as we did.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My son and I just did mammoth cave a couple months ago. Over the years I've done some different ones in KY. Luray caverns in Virginia is also nice.
I haven't heard of Luray Caverns. I will have to check that one out. Did you and your son visit Crystal Onyx while you were in Cave City? It's not part of the park. We were there I think the 19th of October. Probably there around the same time as you.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've only ever been to the Ohio Caverns & Mammoth Cave, KY. My uncle used to do a bunch of hiking in his younger years & has always spoken about how neat Carlsbad Caverns in NM was. Mike
I haven't heard of that one in NM either. I'm going to have to look that one up. I was just told about the Sennca Caverns in Ohio. I looked those up and only about 1 hour away. I'm going to have to check that one out. I didn't know there was one so close in Ohio.

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
9,085 Posts
When I was a kid our family went on vacation to Virginia Beach, and we visited Luray Caverns on the way. Pretty spectacular as I recall. There another one in New Mexico, not the Carlsbad ones, but another one that is not open to the public. Only people allowed in are geologists. I saw a show about it on PBS, and it was mind boggling! Absolutely spectacular!

·
Registered
641 Posts
I haven't heard of that one in NM either. I'm going to have to look that one up. I was just told about the Sennca Caverns in Ohio. I looked those up and only about 1 hour away. I'm going to have to check that one out. I didn't know there was one so close in Ohio.
I went in Seneca caverns years ago, it was an experience

·
Great Cycle Challenge Team OGF
3,775 Posts
I love caves. Did Seven caves many years ago as a kid. Explored many small caves in TN as a kid, and still do. Mammoth cave is really something to see. Mind boggling how big that system is.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I love caves. Did Seven caves many years ago as a kid. Explored many small caves in TN as a kid, and still do. Mammoth cave is really something to see. Mind boggling how big that system is.
There is something about caves that is extremely fascinating. I love the fact that the air temperature stays pretty constant throughout the year. Did you have a favorite one?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wife and I done a bunch on mostly on private property from Harrison Arkansas to here....Harrison has about 50 caves from there to bass pro in Springfield mo
I'm just blown away by how many caves are in the U.S. I don't know how this fact has eluded me all these years.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When I was a kid our family went on vacation to Virginia Beach, and we visited Luray Caverns on the way. Pretty spectacular as I recall. There another one in New Mexico, not the Carlsbad ones, but another one that is not open to the public. Only people allowed in are geologists. I saw a show about it on PBS, and it was mind boggling! Absolutely spectacular!
I heard of Carlsbad. Someone was mentioning that one to me at work today. He hadn't been there in over 20 years. Do you know if that one is open? Luray Caverns was recommended by someone else too. Thank you

·
Registered
641 Posts
Did you like it? Worth the hour drive for us to check it out? Thanks for the feedback
I did like it, i believe it was 1988 when I was there last..but I still remember
Did you like it? Worth the hour drive for us to check it out? Thanks for the feedback
Yes it was good. I believe they called it "the earth crack" you start in a little building for instructions then they take you on a guided tour down

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I haven't heard of Luray Caverns. I will have to check that one out. Did you and your son visit Crystal Onyx while you were in Cave City? It's not part of the park. We were there I think the 19th of October. Probably there around the same time as you.
No we didn't do Crystal Onyx. We where road tripping back from Texas and stopped to do a 3 hr Mammoth tour. In years past We have done Mammoth, Luray, Lost river cave and another but can't remember the name.

·
Powderfinger
7,528 Posts
We used to spring break in the Smokie Mountains National Park years ago in college every March. Park our van and go hiking and camping for a week. One year we found a small opening in the side of a cliff. Four of us squeezed in there and found it opened up and the ceiling was covered with hibernating bats. The two girls we were with did not like it! We drank a case of Busch and took a bunch of pics and looked around for a few hours. I still have the pics in an album from that trip over 30 years ago.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts