close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Have you ever been spooled?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cheezemm2, Feb 9, 2005.

1. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 Ohio State Alumni 05'

Just curious if anyone has ever gotten into a big enough fish that they never got the chance to see...Personally, the closest I ever came was stingray fishing off of panama city beach.....Set the hook and about 75% of the line was gone on the initial run....other than that ocean experience, I snagged a carp ,while tightlining, in the tail at Piedmont and it ran forever.......turned out to be about 5lbs.....I think if it was double that I may've never seen it :p

Figured this will get some fish stories going and all of us licking our chops for Spring!!!!!!!!!

2. Two years ago at lake ontario salmon fishing. Used my convector 20s for rigger reels, not a wise choice. Not enough capacity for a big king. Landed several in the low 20s and even one that went 28 but this one was either bigger faster or meaner or all of the above. After the first run it was down to 1/4 of the spool next run it was over. Ever hear 30 lb big game snap off a spool? Sounded like a rifle, LOUD and crisp.

Scott

3. gonefishin'

gonefishin' Lifestyle Farmer

One day fishing Big Walnut I was casting an inline spinner. I was in my canoe and got by a log jam and was dipping the spinner to the bottom, up and down when something grabbed it. It bent that medium action rod double then must have wrapped around a log and broke off. I go back to that spot every year and try the same thing.

4. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Twice

1.) As a kid fishing off our family boat in Boca Grande FL. We were sea trout fishing a grass flat when what we estimated was a 100+lb tarpon grabbed hold of the shrimp I was using. Dad even fired up the big motor to chase it down but it was too late by the time we pulled anchor. 225 yards of 10lb Ande mono gone.

2.) Surf fishing off Hilton Head island. no clue what it was (guessing it was a shark) but 300+ yards of 17lb stren GONE. Didn't wanna know what it was at that point, this was on a 11' surf rig to boot.

5. Hooch

Hooch Fare Thee Well!

I've been spooled twice. Both by King Salmon in the Betsy River in MI.
    Probably tail hooked. Kinda hard to turn their head when that happens. Both times the drag never stopped screaming... I don't get spooled anymore. When I can't turn a fish, I'll hand brake the spool until I turn his head or the line breaks!!
    At least I have SOME line to continue fishing with. -Hooch-

6. i got spooled once this summer perch fishn on erie (although it was a relatively small baitcaster with 10 lb test). i usually take a jiggn spoon with me perch fishn because it tends to attract em when they're slow.
    you never know what you might hook on the spoon- sometimes even the perch hit it, walleye every so often, a lot of sheapshead. this time i hooked something that spooled me once and i was able to get it back close and it spooled me again. arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. never saw it. didn't act like a stealie, i've caught a lot of walleyes over 10 lbs and it didn't seem like a walleye. i'll never know.

guess that's what keeps us fishn'.

pik-n-fin

7. Perch

Perch Perch Addict

I was spooled once off Pensacola Pier in Florida...........Big Cow Ray took my bait and BYE BYE.............. from my vantage point up on the pier, it looked like a big wet refrigerator box swimming away with my line...........

Never forget that one.

T

8. monsterKAT11

monsterKAT11 Team Fatty

fist time i went to the ohio river i let line out into the lock (probably not allowed to do that) i was just using night crawler, soon as the line hit the bottom somethign picked it up, thought i had a snag...started trying to unsnag it, the pole started going nuts, like whatever had it was surely trying to fight the force of me pulling on it, then all of the sudden it decided to swim off, taking most of my line, then immediately snapping my 20lb test monofiliment clean. never got to see it, had a feeling it was a large cat.

9. I was spooled twice last year ........... by my 9.9 merc kicker. zzzzzzing TWAP! :eek:

10. Miso_Ohio

Miso_Ohio Green Eggs And Ham

Well you know Cheezemm2, I have been spooled many times, many many times you know.

The first time I was ever spooled was when I was younger, we where out Blue fishing out of the coast of Maryland. What tends to happens on these trips is there about 15 lines put out and we troll, when we cross over a school of fish about half of them would go. Well this one time we hit a school and my rod was one of the ones that went off I picked it up and it just went zzzzzzz as the drag was ripping off. After a while when about half the fish where landed I tried to use my hand to help break the spool, not a good idea pretty bad burn. Well then all of the fish where on the boat and mine had not slowed down at all, the captain of the boat came over, he tried to tighten the drag but it did not help, I think it was pretty heavy Lb test. We where nearing the end of the spool, and the captain was afraid of the line not releasing if it hit the end so he finnally whipped out the knife and cut it. Don't know what it was but I probably would of not wanted to land it anyways :D

Last time I was spooled was this last fall, many people witnessed it. It was not because of a monster fish (it only weighed about 5-6 lbs) it was because of my inability to fish and socialize at the same time. A group of us was standing around telling stories, when I believe it CwCarper mentions he thinks he hears a drag ripping off, I looked over and one of my rods was bent over. I ran down to the rod just in time to see the last bit of line dissappearing from the reel, I reached down and wrapped it before I lost it. If the fish was any more active I would of lost him but the combination of the big run it just did and the cold water made it kind of sluggish. Needless to say John and I sat there for about 5 minutes trying to figure out how to tie the line back on the spool, let me tell you it is a little harder when there is something tugging on the other side. Eventually we got it done and I landed the little rascal.

[​IMG]
    Here it is one of the few fish in the world who actually spooled a reel but was landed anyways.. Sorry for the shadow, I think the cameraman was drunk

11. I too have been spooled by large rays from the beach in Florida.

I also hooked a large cobia on redfish/trout tackle off an oyster bar. I actually fought him for a while but as anyone who has fished cobia knows...and I found out, they don't tire easily. I got him within 50 yards and he took off on a 200 yard run that ended with my trilene snapping like a rifle shot. I went and respooled with powerpro 80 lb, broke that rod on a shark, transferred the line to a shiny new surfcasting outfit and of course didn't catch anything bigger than a big sail cat the rest of the trip. But at least now I have a stout cat rod :D .

Never been spooled by a freshwater fish because I tend to go ahead and miss the hookset on large freshies :mad:

12. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

Last year at Congress lake in Hartville I was skipping wacky worms under docks. I skipped one out in front of a dock and something picked it up and casually started swimming off into the center of the lake away from the docks. I had 8 or 10 pound test on an only 2500 series spinning reel. This fish started taking my drag out at a constant pace and seemed undeterred that it had a hook in it's mouth. Me and my buddy just looked dumbfounded at each other. When the spool started getting low I mentioned to him start the motor and chase it down, but it made a run and spooled off the remainder.

My guess it was an early season cruising Musky. Congress has a few of them stocked in there and the week before, we saw 2 cruising side by side many times under the boat. It looked like they were going through some mating ritual, one real big one and one slightly smaller. They didn't seem to mind the boat or anything we threw in the water near them, nothing broke their "strides". I bet it was a big musky.

13. Twice once in Korea , by what the locals called Kamulchee ( spelling ) . It may have been an amur pike not sure. The other time was night fishing at conneaut ohio. I had just put 100 yards of fresh 10 stren the night before. whatever it was , we was catching channel catfish that were running 4 to 20 lbs, my drag screamed until it came to the end and snap.

14. catking

catking Banned

Yep, DA KING was witness to Miso getting spooled by that over grown gold fish. If he wasn't eating freakin cheese coneys while chuggin beers and bs'ing all at once, he wouldn't have been spooled. But this was one of the funniest things I've ever seen :D .......... THE CATKING !!!

15. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

LOL.. that was a classic miso pulled..
    i got spooled once, that i can remember.. i was napping bankside and woke up to my rod laying halfway in the water.. looked at the spool and saw the metal.. freaked out and started pumping the rods.. a 12lbs carp did all that..
    i was about to kick that fish back in......just kiddin maaan.. i tossed him back in nicely.. :)

16. Was spooled by a very large snook in the Keys.

17. when I was just a wee little boy I got "spooled" several times in a local pond. I learned to use heavier line on my canepole after that :D . It has never happened again. :rolleyes:

18. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

I hooked a 10 lb. carp on a 4 lb. ultralite outfit and very nearly got spooled. I saw the metal on the spool but managed to gain some line back and land the fish eventually. Still my largest fish and it took 20-25 minutes to land.

19. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

I've had 80# snap while tuna fishing 30 miles off Virginia....let me tell ya...you duck when that sh!!! breaks.

My first spooling came when I was just a yungin', first cast into the gulf of mexico and my fishing was done for the day. Same trip, a friggin' pelican grabbed my shrimp and spooled me :D

20. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Livin' the moontime

two years ago I took a buddy to Leesville Lake to troll for muskies. My buddy was short one trolling rod so I let him use my casting rod. We trolled for endless hours in a miserably hot sun. My buddy must have been catchin some z's and when I looked at my casting rod that he was using (which btw has no line out clicker), it was doubled over and bouncing. I smacked him on the shoulder and he grabbed the rod. About 2 seconds later I hear that loud snap somebody mentioned earlier. When all was said and done, my ambassadeur was without 5 yards of 20lb mono backing and 90-100 yards of 65lb Power Pro. Might have been a snag, but we'll never know. The line was already gone when he grabbed the rod.
    I believe the lure he was using was a Lil Ernie. That + the steel leader + the Power Pro equals about a $35 spooling :eek: