Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We floated ohio brush creek this weekend in southern Adams County and right before dark we noticed a few white insects. 20 minutes later we couldnt breathe they were so thick. Any idea of what would be hatching this time of year and would be white?

I figured this would be the best spot to post this because many of you are extremely familiar with flying insect cycles. My uneducated guess is juvenille mayflies. Just wanted to make sure the timing seems right.

Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Nothing but Fly Gear
591 Posts
If it was a mayfly type insect it could have been the Cahill.....up right wing look like little sail boats coming down the river as they dry their wings before they fly off.....It also could have been the white miller....caddis...think moth...wings laid back over body aith the wing being much bigger than the body itself.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it was a mayfly type insect it could have been the Cahill.....up right wing look like little sail boats coming down the river as they dry their wings before they fly off.....It also could have been the white miller....caddis...think moth...wings laid back over body aith the wing being much bigger than the body itself.
Im leaning toward the light cahill. Judging from the pics on troutnut.com

Ill put a pic up after work just in case someone can id them that way.

The fish were taking advantage of the hatch....every riffle we passed had fish stacked up eating off the top as the current carried the flies to them. Looked like a lot of carp, sheephead or drum, and smaller bass. There was a smaller hatch yesterday evening....saturday seemed to be the worst by far. I think the birds had figured it out yeaterday as well. There was a lot of activity near dusk.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
If they look look the bug in my pic, and like you said the pics on troutnut, then it's probably a cahill(part of the mayfly family). I thought it's a little late for them though, I guess not.

If not, then I'm not sure what they are, but I think I know exactly what you're talking about. I see them all the time and I think they might be part of the caddis family. They're really small, like sz 20 at the biggest. The fish don't really take advantage of them though.

Here's a cahill from early June.....

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I know exactly what those are.........WHITE MAYFLIES(not cahills)!!!!!! The hatch seems way too thick to be cahills, and they seem big. I'm not familiar with where you found them, but where they hatch near me the hatch only lasts like a week or so. If there's some bass in that creek or a nearby one try some white poppers, I've heard those actually work better than flies actually immitating them. I've never fished the hatch, but heard from other people it can be awesome.

Check this out. Those are pics of the white fly hatch on Slipper Rock Creek in PA. It's about a little more than an hour from me(near Mosquito Lake) but this hatch has been on my bucket list for quite some time. I've fished the stream before, just not during the hatch.

http://www.ncflyshop.com/gallery6/

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
agreed its a white Mayfly of some sort and not a Cahill, but similar in size, seen them so thick you were afraid to breathe many times on warmwater streams with muddy buttoms, GMR, LMRWW rivers etc. Its a mid to late summer evening hatch and the fish will tear it up but the problem is usually there are soooo many of them that throwing fly pattern is a joke just too many naturals to eat.

The next morning is always neat as there will be millions of shucks on the water... LOl, then the smell starts up around mid morning....

Salmonid

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Sean, I learned to fish on both OBC and SBC, Love that area as we had a farm right next to Serpent Mound back in the 70's ( I was between about 10-13 when I was fishing down there) A quick memory flash, Thanks!

Salmonid

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sean, I learned to fish on both OBC and SBC, Love that area as we had a farm right next to Serpent Mound back in the 70's ( I was between about 10-13 when I was fishing down there) A quick memory flash, Thanks!

Salmonid
I actually live like 3 miles from serpent mound. I live on an 80 acre family farm in locust grove. I went to Miami University in Oxford, Ohio got a degree in environmental science and geography..... and came back. I luckily found a decent paying job right in Peebles five minutes from the house. I will retire there...... Livin the dream.

SBC is on my to do list.........it holds some very desirable species.;)

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
not exactly next too but about 1 mile away, near Louden on a trib to Bakers Fork. Found several arrow heads playing in the creek, great area, remember my dad dropping me off at Ohio Brush for a while so I could fish and having a Blue heron fly right overhead, as a scared youngster, I kept telling my dad It looked and sounded like a teradactyl, he thought I was nuts, little did he know I was privileged to see one that far back in the wild long before they were common. Back to the original post, Ohio Brush Creek is a gorgeous creek that is as wild as it gets, ( minus the hundreds of limb and trotlines) and involves a varied amount of unique animals, invertebrates and fish. Perfect ingredients for a days float with a small boat, something you can walk through long skinny waters between long murky pools full of LN gar and sheepies. LOL

Salmonid

1 - 14 of 14 Posts