Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
a guy on the river said he thinks the spring steelhead season has allready peaked. what is everyone elses veiw on this?
Absolutely not! Not because I know better, but because it is always peak season if you can just get out there and fish!

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have a question, sometimes I keep the steelhead to eat them, but I like to throw them back. But, when I keep them, is it safe to eat them during this time of the year? Ive had several people tell me that it wasnt very safe. Is it true that when the female is spawning her eggs, that she is in a way rotting from the outside in? I know that its not very safe to eat the fish a lot because of the mercury though.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've never heard of that for Trout. Salmon on the other hand die after spawning & they are literally dying [ deteriorating] once there in the river. male & female.

·
useless poster
8,806 Posts
the siver ones are fresh from the lake w/o stress. the multi colored have been in the river for a while. summer steelhead caught in the lake are more edible (tastewise) than the trout in the river,

·
612 Posts
Peaking now...I caught a few trout over the weekend and one had spwaned and one had eggs still. This cold snap coming now will get em going good....

·
Whaler
3,206 Posts
Fisherman419 they don't rot from the outside in. They may have some injuries or sores from being in the rivers a long time and putting up with males in the rocks but they aren't rotting.

·
612 Posts
steelhead tracker-I've seen them into mid May. It depends on the water temperature. Once the river gets into the 50's and rising, it'll start getting too warm for them. They head out for the cooler waters of the lake. As the lake warms, they head for deeper water, relative to the thermocline... You will see some fish that get trapped in the river and will not make it out. They will be swimming slowly, apparently disoriented and die in the river. It looks like what happens to salmon, but it's not the same thing at all. If you roam the Chagrin in mid May, you can noodle these fish, although there's no sport in that.

I've been fishing the Chagrin for the past 22 years and that's what I've seen. These Manistee may be different/hardier than the London steelhead we used to get. Smaller too....

Dock Time

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
as far as pleasent fishing is concerened, this weekend the steelhead fishing peaked. the temps were perfect, the weather was great(including the rain on sunday) and the fish were there. but the fish will be in the rivers for a few weeks yet in ever declining numbers. went fishing yesterday in shorts and a tshirt without my waders, it was great. my guess is next week the fishing will truly peak.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts