close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Has anyone ever changed their steering WHEEL?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by bronzback, Apr 27, 2004.

1. I am almost done restoring an old bassboat and would like to change the steering wheel. When I look online at steering wheels it seems like they dont give you size options. I find it hard to believe that they are all universal. Also, is there a way to put a small windshield on a fiberglass boat without drilling? Thanks

2. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

Actually, steering wheels are pretty much universal- the shaft size is common among the manufacturers. One will fit all, with the exception of depth/interference. If you remove the nut that holds the steering wheel on the box shaft, you can put on just about any wheel you find. Getting the steering wheel off in the first place can be a treat though. :mad: They are usually stuck pretty good and will require a puller to pop them off. That being done, just pick what you want to put back on.

As far as windshields, Cabelas offers 4 or 5 different models that will go on any boat, but you will have to drill a few holes for the hardware. I don't know of any out there that just stick on or something like that. They blow off on the road too easily. I had one from Cabelas on my Sea Nymph that ran me $70 and it did the job really well- dressed up the boat a bit as well.

UFM82

3. Thanks UFM, I saw those windshields on Cabelas also and was hoping to put it on my boat, glad to hear someones had success with them and the steering wheel. Hate to ask but, can I just drill through fiberglass with a normal drill? I know where I would be drilling I wouldn't be tearing anything up inside but would it crack the fiberglass?

4. DavidWS10

DavidWS10 Bankless Boat Trash

Bronzback, as long as you are using a good, sharp bit, you should be ok. Drill a small starter hole first, though. For me, that has seemed to releave some of the stress on the spot where I'm drilling, keeping the fiberglass from both cracking and chipping.

5. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

But there are a few tricks that can work for you. The biggest problem is chipping the gel coat where you are starting the hole. Yu can try to start the drill slooooooooooowly and cut through the gel coat first before mashing the trigger and going through. The method I use and have good success with? I have an OLD hand auger that is adjustable. Got it from my wife's grandfather. It has a sharp center point to locate the drill and an adjustable blade that moves out to make bigger holes. ( It's hard to describe.) Anyway, it scores the edge of the hole for me when I drill. When I hit it with the actual bit, the only gel coat that chips off is in the circle scribed by the blade. It works great up to about a 2" hole. I've never seen one anywhere else like it.

Like David said- the sharper the better. And, go as fast as you can with low pressure- let the bit eat through slowly- you'll have less chance of cracking out a big chunk.

UFM82

Good luck with it. Don't be afraid to try.