Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you tried running a colorado blade off of your rigger,if so what kind of let backs have you tried.Any input would help.Thanks.:T

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have, but so far the snap weights and jets behind inline boards have out-produced for me. I generally try longer leads -- 70 to 80 feet -- behind the cannon balls, so maybe that's what I'm not doing right. It just seems like a shorter lead would put the bait right under the kicker.

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,505 Posts
Try running a 1oz inline 30 back then attach it to the rigger this will get the bait down and out away from the boat and the rigger ball, keep in mind the added depth due to the inline.

·
Registered
177 Posts
We run blades off the downriggers all the time. We usually set them 20 to 30 foot behind the ball. If the water is real clear we put them as far back as 50 ft. Sometimes the downriggers are the most productive rods on the boat. I love that free line fight on a light rod.

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
a friend of mine would tie a 5' leader with a spoon directly to the ball. granted it's not sportsman like but it would always catch fish...sometimes out producing jets or dipsy's. I prefer to use a pole but almost always use short leads from 5 to 20'. Some say the ball or "hum" from the wire lie on the rigger scares the walleyes but I think it must attract them.

·
multi species angler
4,369 Posts
I don't do it personally but a harness attached directly to the ball. They call it "meatballing".

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Chip Greene, the owner of Ridgeback Rattler downrigger weights, recommends running harnesses within 7' of his weights.

His two riggers are the first rods in the water every time out.

I agree with Papascott...nothing better than a clean rigger fish. My buds from Wisconsin run stuff back about 20-30' off of their riggers for walleyes.

BTW...we also ran a SWR this year in early June...woot woot....

lol

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,505 Posts
Chip Greene, the owner of Ridgeback Rattler downrigger weights, recommends running harnesses within 7' of his weights.

His two riggers are the first rods in the water every time out.

I agree with Papascott...nothing better than a clean rigger fish. My buds from Wisconsin run stuff back about 20-30' off of their riggers for walleyes.

BTW...we also ran a SWR this year in early June...woot woot....

lol
Did the SWR produce? I would think the SWR would be awesome in the deeper waters east of the WB.

I wonder how many guys are gonna read this and SAY WHAT!! LOL

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
We have 2 old, hand crank riggers sitting in the barn. Posts like this make me want to figure out how to mount them on our Crestliner.

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,505 Posts
We have 2 old, hand crank riggers sitting in the barn. Posts like this make me want to figure out how to mount them on our Crestliner.

2 mounts is all you need!, then two balls, 2 releases, two limber rods, 2 reels, linecounters are optional for riggers, and your good to go. I suggest swivel mounts. Rigger fish are FUN!!! I know a dude from indiana who uses 7 1/2 ft medium light action spinning rods on his riggers, just for added fun for walleye fishing, thought about doing it myself, now that's sweet.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
2 mounts is all you need!, then two balls, 2 releases, two limber rods, 2 reels, linecounters are optional for riggers, and your good to go. I suggest swivel mounts. Rigger fish are FUN!!! I know a dude from indiana who uses 7 1/2 ft medium light action spinning rods on his riggers, just for added fun for walleye fishing, thought about doing it myself, now that's sweet.
I think we everything but the mounts!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Did the SWR produce? I would think the SWR would be awesome in the deeper waters east of the WB.

I wonder how many guys are gonna read this and SAY WHAT!! LOL
OK I give. What are they? Don't use the riggers as often but still like them and think I might start using them more.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts