close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hardwaterfan???????

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by Bassy, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Bassy

Bassy Bass the other white meat

Hey Hardwaterfan,
    do you have good luck with those hali jigs on perch everywhere you use them or just a certain lake? I have caught perch on a #2W jigging rap with a minnow head in two different bodies of water, also have caught crappie on the jiggin rap. I was just wondering about the hali jig, is it a perch bait only or do you catch all panfish with it? After watching that video clip I have been looking around for them, saw some for $5 and didnt know what size or color to get? any suggestions on size and color? is wax worms the ticket or would maggots or minnows work as well?
    Thanks for any suggestions,
    Scott
    (Bassy)

2. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

Scott....i apologize for the confusion but i didnt make those videos. I copied them from another website and posted them here. The only original sentence of mine on that post was the first one. :(

From what i know about hali jigs and "dropper rigs" in general is that the big spoon part is what attracts the fish in, then the theory is that you offer them something small to suck in such as a waxworm or a maggot or two on a hook. see, so they wont have to inhale the whole spoon. so really you could make a dropper set up like that out of any lure such as a spoon, big jig, even a jiggin rap. just take the treble off and tie a little "dropper" line on with a little hook and a tiny bait offering and you should be good to go! So you could really make your own hali style jig. Real hali jigs have a fine chain instead of a line.

The In-fisherman 2005 ice fishing special has a good article on dropper rigs.

Hope this helps some, this is all i know about them.

George

3. Bassy

Bassy Bass the other white meat

:D HA!!! Well that clears things up pretty much, Im going to get some and try them out, that is if we get some good ice around here in Ashland, Im banking on trying them out at Pleasant Hill, I hope to get some nice perch there. Thanks again for the input, those videos sold me :)
    Scott

4. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)