Hard Water Newbie... Maybe!

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by patsheart, Jan 23, 2008.

1. I have never made an attempt at ice fishing. That being said I have the fever this year and I just can't fight it anymore. I live in Youngstown and if I decide to succumb to my cravings it would probably be on either Skeeter or Milton. I have a hand held auger and a few ice rods and some lures. My questions are how far do you need to go out in either lake that I mentioned in order to catch some fish? And what precautions should I take? I have a couple of teenage sons that want to go just as much as I do and we all need to return home safely to MAMA! :confused:

2. My son was off the 305 deadend area of Mosquito this evening. He said they fished for quite a while about halfway to the OPEN WATER near the middle of the lake(channel area). You don't need to go halfway across or all the way to find fish. If you have a depth finder(or a piece of rope marked in feet), drill a hole and check the depth occasionally. 5-10 feet should be ok for panfishing; 10-25 ft. would be ok for larger predator fish. Fish where(location and/or depths you would from a boat for whatever species you want to try.
    Safety tips: I would suggest you go to one of the normal boat launch/parking lot areas of either lake you mentioned and look for other fishermen on the ice. Go out on the lake in the footsteps of some of those guys if there's snow(they made it out!) If no others out, no sled runner tracks or footprints, take a chisel pointed "spud bar" with you and if at all unsure of ice thickness, pound the bar down hard on the ice(ps-don't do this with your auger!). If it sounds solid and doesn't pop thru the ice, proceed carefully and do that about every 10 yds. Walk in single file about 3-5 yds. apart and if your boys can manage it(big boys), bring along a strong safety rope in case the lead guy should have a mishap and need to be pulled out. Come back on the same track you went out on. These are the basics, I'm sure others will add to these as you thread proceeds.

3. In any case , your first few attempts at ice fishing should be led by a seasoned hardwater angler. Or until you gain at least basic knowledge. Your first trips will likely be short until you learn how to dress for it. Suffice to say the boots you think are going to be good enough won't be.

Some beginner mistakes , too tight leather boots , equipment better suited to open water fishing. No or little safety equipment ,no cleats on your boots,
    no proper tool for making a hole in the ice.

A good coach is almost a necessity to give it a fair shot. A lot of guys freeze thier (__!__) off right away and never try it again. The smaller % like me and others here are too hardheaded and kept at it.

4. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

I carry a 50 foot length of nylon rope with me in case someone goes through. I have a small piece of wood tied to the end for weight so I can throw to the victim easily. I have not had to use it yet but I have it if we need it.

5. snake69

snake69 Equal opportunity fishing

They can turn a decent pair of boots into warmth! I have a somewhat cheap pair of boots, maybe 200 grams of thinsulate, that are good on cold days...35-40 degrees and up. Once I add the good merino wool socks,($12) I can get on ice for a good 4-6 hrs or more. It really makes a difference when you can feel your toes as compared to barely tolerating the pain from the cold!!

6. These are good tips. Please keep them coming! And any volunteers to give lessons?

7. Go to ebay and look for Mickey Mouse boots in your size. You will be able to wear dress socks and your toes will still be toasty. Go to Ebay --sports-- fishing -- ice fishing . Once you are in the ice fishing page type in Mickey Mouse and make sure its government issue. look for it in sellers description.

8. fish master

fish master 2005 senior member

DON'T JUMP.:S
    QUOTE=c. j. stone;564383]My son was off the 305 deadend area of Mosquito this evening. He said they fished for quite a while about halfway to the OPEN WATER near the middle of the lake(channel area). You don't need to go halfway across or all the way to find fish. If you have a depth finder(or a piece of rope marked in feet), drill a hole and check the depth occasionally. 5-10 feet should be ok for panfishing; 10-25 ft. would be ok for larger predator fish. Fish where(location and/or depths you would from a boat for whatever species you want to try.
    Safety tips: I would suggest you go to one of the normal boat launch/parking lot areas of either lake you mentioned and look for other fishermen on the ice. Go out on the lake in the footsteps of some of those guys if there's snow(they made it out!) If no others out, no sled runner tracks or footprints, take a chisel pointed "spud bar" with you and if at all unsure of ice thickness, pound the bar down hard on the ice(ps-don't do this with your auger!). If it sounds solid and doesn't pop thru the ice, proceed carefully and do that about every 10 yds. Walk in single file about 3-5 yds. apart and if your boys can manage it(big boys), bring along a strong safety rope in case the lead guy should have a mishap and need to be pulled out. Come back on the same track you went out on. These are the basics, I'm sure others will add to these as you thread proceeds.[/QUOTE]

9. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

Speaking of boots: I was at Berlin one time and three or four young guys came out wearing only street shoes with plastic bags over them. They must have had the fever bad ! Needless to say they didn't last very long at all.