close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hard drive ? need advice

Discussion in 'Computing & Gaming Discussions' started by Erie Addict, Jan 8, 2005.

1. My nieghbor got a new computor for Xmas and put his old one out for the trash man yesterday. It is about 3 years old, A pionex (microcenter). It has a 20 G hard drive that he tells me still works. The problem is, his kids down loaded all kinds of crap on it and he can't get it running. He doesn't know much about computers and viruses and spyware. Any way, he gave it to me. I would like to completely wipe the hardrive and use it as a back up for pictures and things like that. How does one go about wiping a harddrive completely clean? From what he tells me all of his stuff is on it, but he can't get the computor to run. I fired it up and it takes about 15 minutes to get to the windows XP desk top and you can't get any of the programs to work. I am just interested in clearing the hard drive to use as a slave or back up.

2. Miso_Ohio

Miso_Ohio Green Eggs And Ham

If you want to use it as a slave in an existing system, it all depends on what OS you are using. On 2000 and maybe XP you can install it as a slave and boot up, then you can go to Disk Management in the control panel (may be easier to find it at administrative tools-computer management). Then you can highlight that drive right click it and format it to simply erase it.

If you want to erase it in the original system you can do the following:

If you have the bootable install disk for the operating system you have, simply put it in and boot it up. You can go through like you want to install. When you get to the point where you select what parition you want it on, you will have the option to delete all patitions if you want, then create one big one or a couple small ones thats your choice. Then you can select to format the partitions, once you are done with that you can shut her down and put the harddrive in your system. Or if you want to, go through the install to have two system, the choice is yours.

It really is very simple, if you have never done it before, when you put the hardrive in, make sure you jumper it as a slave. Also double check the main hardrive to make sure it is jumpered as the master. Good luck and enjoy.

3. Miso_Ohio

Sorry I just realized I made it sound more complicated then it really is. Just follow along on the install CD and it will all make sense to you.

The easiest way is if you currently have 2000 or XP on your system. Just put it in, jumper them correctly and the system will find it on the boot. Then you can format it very easily with the disk manager I was talking about in the first part of my response.

4. Thank you for your speedy replies. He does not have any of the original system disks. I have a windows XP Pro system disk. But from what I understand, you can only use the ID Key on the disk for one installation. If you try to install it on another machine, doesn't it deny the ID key?
    Could I simply wipe the machine and set it up in a network to be a backup?

5. Miso_Ohio

I believe it does not ask for that key until after it gets through the format and partition stage, so you should be able to use it to format, someone correct me if I am wrong.

In order to network the two machines together, you will need to install an OS on it, no other way sorry. You could wipe it though, and put the harddrive in you system for additional space, that is what I was talking about when I said jumper it as a slave device.

6. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

The easiest way is to jumper it to SLAVE as mentioned (provided the cable youre connecting it to doesn't already have a slave device connected to it), let your BIOS autodetect it, boot into windows, and then format it inside of windows just like you would a floppy.

You shouldn't need any setup/boot disks what so ever if you go this route.

7. Is the original hard drive not always set as master?
    ..and will BIOS always autodetect it?
    THANKS in advance ...

8. Actually on some hard drives there are two settings for a hard drive being a master. Most often the absence of a jumper indicates that the drive was the only ide drive on that ide channel. Sometimes a jumper is present if the hard drive as the master and a zip.cd-rom or another hard drive was configured as slave. The only hard and fast rule in computing and computer repair is "NOTHING IS HARD AND FAST ". I wont even get into cable select, Raid setups.

9. Miso_Ohio

No, the bios will only boot from one device, you can set up multiple boot options and boot from different partitions, but you actually got to do some work for that to happen. You can put another hardrive with an OS installed on it and not have any problems, the bios will boot from the harddrive it always has, unless you tell it something different.

If a hardrive in unbootable, you can sometimes save some info off it if you put it in another system and look at it. Then you can copy files from it to the new drive, classic trick, but then again most of the times the hard drive is too far gone for this too work.

Erie addict, you can still network the two computers, you just need an opertating system installed on the one from the trash. It can be anything, if you ask around I am sure you will find somebody who has an older OS they are not using anymore. Another option with XP, is sometimes there is a sticker on the back of the machine that will give you XP license info. If not, you may be able to email the company that originally created the system, and get the license info from them. Just a couple ideas since it sounds like you really want to network the two systems together. Good luck.

10. Ok, heres what i did. I tried to put my windows XP Pro on it, but it wanted me to register it. when i did, microsoft said that system was already registered to another number. MS gave me a phone number to call to get another register key. I talked to some lady in India i think, I could barely understand her. Got the new key and now it is wiped and running. Hooked into my wireless network and now have a back up PC to store pictures videos and othe documents on. Has any one out there ever experimented with the synchronizer program in XP?

11. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

CF33...You can specify in your BIOS the boot order, so you can choose which one it will try and boot off of first. If your bios only gives you a generic "boot from hdd" option, then I believe all systems will default to booting whichever drive is connected to IDE 0 (primary) slot 1 on the cable (cs) or master.

Most newer proprietary systems (hp/compaq, dell, etc..) come factory with the drives all set at cable select. If that's the case, you need to jump the new drive as cable select too (or jump them both to master/slave respectively) and plug her in.

Good Deal EA.

12. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

Sean you are correct. I just installed XP on my 6yr old laptop that took a dump after I let my sister use it for 3 weeks.