close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hannon's Hints

Discussion in 'General Fishing Techniques' started by ShakeDown, Apr 21, 2004.

1. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Hannon's Hint's

Doug Hannon

"When people are landing a fish, if they're calm and try to get the fish to hand gently they'll land the fish quicker, causing less stress for the fish."

"Use knotless catch and release nets, and not lift the fish out of the water with the net. Instead, just let the fish swim into the net. Then lip the fish and raise it out of the net, gently releasing it."

"Bass can die of starvation while waiting for normal body processes to eject the hook. Food coming down a bass' throat will bypass a hook-shank, IF the shank lies tightly against the side of the throat where the barb is lodged. However, if the shank protrudes into the throat, food coming down can push the shank across the esophagus, blocking it. Deep-hooked bass may even feel pain as the food rotates the barb and regurgitate the food."

"A flats boat has a huge, flush front deck, making it an ideal platform for flyfishing or target-casting plugs around shallow cover. This deck is perfect for cast-netting as well; bass anglers who use shiners or shad for bait will love the fact that there are no exposed cleats for your net to hang on, and no carpet to get wet and smelly. And best of all, a flats boat is designed to run in super-shallow water -- I‘m talking mere inches. With a flats boat, you can operate a prop-driven outboard nearly as shallow as you can a jet outboard on an aluminum boat. Plus, I love to flycast for tarpon when they’re running, and a flats boat is perfect for this application."

"I've always kept a logbook and I wouldn't turn loose of my logs for anything," says Hannon. "One of the hardest things is to start a logbook. When you start, it doesn't fulfill the purpose because you don't have any records when you start. The value of a logbook comes over time. It's like a good education. The farther you get with a logbook, the more it evolves into the most valuable source of information you have."

"Weeds serve as a pasture, a nursery and a feeding ground for Largemouth Bass."

"Hydrilla is among the very best weedy habitat because it can absorb and metabolize the high nutrient loads that we are putting in our waters. "Not only is it good habitat for fish, but, in its way, helps keep our water a little cleaner by filtering the water coming in and puts those nutrients into a non-harmful form."

"Have a strategy and stick to it. Fishing for bass is different than fishing for trout, walleye or catfish. Not only does the equipment vary for each, so does the strategy. The best anglers establish a plan of attack first, then direct all other decisions toward achieving their plan. Not only do you have to know what you want to accomplish, you have to know how you want to accomplish it. If you stick to it, a well-conceived strategy can keep you focused."

"Don't look at things from your own perspective. If you want to catch a bass, you have to think like a bass. That's why I wear scuba gear and swim around in different lakes."

"Expect change. Fishing conditions change from hour to hour, day to day, season to season, and lake to lake. It's what keeps the sport interesting. Rather than becoming frustrated, the most enterprising anglers know that change brings challenge and opportunity. They expect it and prepare for it. It also keeps things interesting."

"Remember the basics. Every year, there are new theories about bass fishing and new inventions intended to help anglers land the big fish. No matter how good they are, however, these newfangled concepts can never replace the basics - a sound strategy and the right perspective."

"Don't pay too much attention to the competition. Competition, like change, is another fact of life. In a bass tournament, the real contest occurs between the angler and the fish. Success in fishing - depends largely on our own ability."

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015