close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Handheld Marine radio???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ParmaBass, Sep 18, 2005.

1. ParmaBass

ParmaBass Kiss The Converse

Anyone have a handeld marine radio or know someone who does? I'm looking into them, just to communicate with other boats while on Lake Erie. What kind of range might I expect with a handheld unit? I'm not looking to get a real expensive one. Uniden has one called the Atlantis 250 for $99.00, any opinion out there?? Thanks!

2. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

For $99 you're almost 2/3 of the way to a hard mounted unit. The range on a hand held unit will be about 5-8 miles on a good day. IMO, that's not enough, especially if you have an emergency to deal with. The unit that you refer is more than likely not water proof either...which is the number one feature I'd want in a hand held. For say another $75 you should be able to get an inexpensive radio and a 8ft. anntentae that with will give you 2-3 times the range of the hand held units.

3. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

What he said. You can get a very decent boat mount radio for $99, and get an 8" antenna for another $59.

4. I have one and I think it is a great improvement over nothing. I think you mainly nearshore ( 2-3) miles? If so it would be fine. Just my humble opinion. In fact if you wanna try mine let me know I don't really use it anymore.

5. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

battery life is not long ,unless you have a 12 volt plug in for it. can't wastyour battery and then try to call for help.

6. ParmaBass

ParmaBass Kiss The Converse

Thanks guys I'd be happy with a 5-8 mile range, I usually don't go any further than 2 miles. I might take you up on that John, before I spend the cash! Thanks guys.

7. Did you ever hear of these new things called rechargeable batteries?? Maybe carry two sets-more than enough to last all day-would be a good idea. BTW -Jeff-I have the cig lighter plug too. exexecoh@aol.com

8. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

I have a hand held Uniden and it is waterproof and does only have about a five mile range. If I were going to spend a lot of time on lake erie I'd buy a mounted radio with a long antenna.