close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hand chemicals.....??

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Agent47, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Agent47

Agent47 Trying to pull it in!!!!

In my research I have run across another topic that has me curious.. Scents and bait effect. I am getting individuals telling me that what you do at work or what you consume effects how you fish in a sense that if you have something not natural on your hand and you bait your hook it gets transferred and fish have a HIGH sense and wont bother the bait.

What do you all think, is there any consistancy in this ??

2. I know one guy whose fished several times but hates it because he never catches anything!! He thinks it's because he's a machinist and has cutting fluid imbedded in his skin and passes it on to his lures while fishing!? Probably not your problem cause you're a secret agent man,but "gun oil" may do the same thing? Just some info.

3. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

There have been numerous studies done by bait companies that show a list of things that repel fish. As I recall, cigarettes and suntan lotion both can greatly repel fish. There's got to be papers on these tests around that you could find.
    If you do, post them. :B

4. snake69

snake69 Equal opportunity fishing

I have read several articles on just this subject. I believe the two publications are North American Fisherman and possibly Walleye Insider. I read them both this winter, but at the moment, cannot recall the specific issues. I believe for the most part that it does play a part. If you look at how sensitive a fish' sense of smell is, it makes excellent sense. Will follow this to see what else is added of interest!

5. I don't know about the cigs because I smoke and catch a lot of fish. What I do know is the suntan lotion and bug spray seems to slow the action. I don't get bit by mosquitos either but fish with other people that use bug spray and that seems to slow them down. I'm not an expert but that's what I have seen. Good Luck.

6. I smoke and I also catch a lot of fish. Somethings I know that keep fish from biting Gasoline , fresh acidic fruit oranges especially or grapefruit, and some peoples diet in general. My lifelong friend has an uncle that hardly ever catches anything. I remember many a Lake Erie perch trip where each of us had well over a 100 perch and he would barely break double figures. If the trip was lousy he would not have any fish at all. Same thing crappie fishing we could not keep two rods in the water and he would be bored stiff. Trip after trip it was always like this. I honestly believe it was something in his diet that combined with his own hormones that actually chased the fish off.
    As each of our body chemistry is unique I imagine this thesis would be hard to prove. But it seems like everyone knows of at least one person that just cannot catch fish. Also on the other hand sometime a persons body chemistry seems to work for them. My wife for instance always seems to catch fish if given a fair chance. She would be the first to tell you she does not know whats she is doing as far as fishing goes. Course she always seems to enjoy outfishing me regardless of her lack of knowledge. She never uses more than 1 outfit and I always fish with two.

7. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Jim, funny you should mention, sun tanning lotion. I talked with fellow a few years back from Illinois who was fishing Erie for perch. He swore that tanning lotion was his and his uncle's key to their daily limits of large perch. He also pointed out that it had to be straight tanning lotion without a sunblocker ingredient. Go figure...! :confused:

Papa, me thinks your life long friend just has bad Juju...! :D

8. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I have read numerous studies stating one of the chemical sunscreens, octyl methoxy cinnimate (ethylhexyl methoxy cinnimate) is a Canadian goose repellant and other animals don't like it either. DEET, gasoline and a few other solvents are not good either to get on your hands and equipment.
    If you want to use a sunscreen when fishing use the kind that contain physical sunscreens like titanium dioxide or zinc oxide, not the chemical sunscreens like benzophenone-3, octyl salicylate or ethylhexyl methoxy cinnimate.

9. I have wondered about the bad scents at times but have never been able to prove whether it was that or just that someone was using a different presentation or simply feeling the bite better. The best way to prove or disprove that theory would be to rig bait for that person affected and see if it affects the results.;)

10. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

11. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

I smoke and do not use a masking agent...! ;)

12. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I always heard that Berkley uses specific amino acids in their Powerbait line of lures. I cannot find any specific Berkley patents or Outdoor Technology Group patents but did find these. I'll have to see whether Berkley references any patents on its Powerbait packages.

<A href="http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=8&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=%22amino+acid%22&s2=%22fish+attractant%22&OS="amino+acid"+AND+"fish+attractant"&RS="amino+acid"+AND+"fish+attractant">http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=8&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=%22amino+acid%22&s2=%22fish+attractant%22&OS="amino+acid"+AND+"fish+attractant"&RS="amino+acid"+AND+"fish+attractant"

<A href="http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=5&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=%22amino+acid%22&s2=%22fish+attractant%22&OS="amino+acid"+AND+"fish+attractant"&RS="amino+acid"+AND+"fish+attractant">http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=5&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=%22amino+acid%22&s2=%22fish+attractant%22&OS="amino+acid"+AND+"fish+attractant"&RS="amino+acid"+AND+"fish+attractant"

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph...&co1=AND&TERM2=fish+attractant&FIELD2=&d=PG01

13. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

i always juice up my lures with some berkely juice ,so i don't have to worry about it.i also use a hand sanitizer often while fishing .

14. Met two guys at the Medina Trout farm one winter who were pulling trout thru the ice like it was Christmas. Asked them why they were so successful and we weren't at that particular time and they both simultaneously pulled WD-40 cans out of their buckets. I was skeptical but on that day it worked like Topsy. 'Whaler' swears by Prep.-H paste on his lures and he out catches me most days!(I have it in my box but usually forget to use it-hope I didn't let the cat out of the bag, Jim!)

15. Zom B.

Zom B. disMembered

WD-40 was very popular in the Northwest, especially for salmon (fish oil was said to be one of the ingredients). However, it is considered a nasty pollutant, and is now prohibited in many places.

16. I used bug spray on Monday nite that 100% Deet. I sprayed it on my hands to wipe it on my face. I caught fish on my first two casts. I always use bug spray when fishing the river, the mosquito's and deer flies are horrendous. I have never seemed to have a problem catching fish. Just my .02