close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hamilton County parks Tournaments

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by wax, Jan 15, 2009.

1. wax

wax

Hello,

Interested in information from anyone who has fished in the Hamilton County parks tournaments in the past.

Just curious what type of setup this is and any opinions on what its like.

I know you use their boats, but do you need to bring a livewll, trolling motor, etc.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Wax

2. TeamPlaker

TeamPlaker Fishing Deadbeat

I fished one once... in my opinion it was poorly organized and a waste of time. I'm sure I'll light a fire under someone's tail by saying this, but unless you like catfish, HCPD does a horrible job of stocking. If you do fish one of their tourneys, bring your own trolling motor for sure... heck, bring two! I used one of theirs and it died 5 minutes after pulling away from the dock.

3. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

I fish all their bass tournaments and I think they are run well. Neal Ramsey is the one in charge and he does a great job of letting everybody know of the rules prior to the tournament. The bass fishing in those lakes is about as good as it gets in this part of Ohio!

As for what you will need: A trolling motor for sure. Alot of people bring two to put in both the back and front of the boat to get more control. Most people only use one though. You will need a livewell which is nothing more than a cooler with an aeration system in it to circulate the water. A net is helpful also. Other than that you don't need much.

For the bass tournaments, the turnouts are great and they give plagues to the top three places.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

4. TeamPlaker

TeamPlaker Fishing Deadbeat

Yikes! Good thing I didn't place in the top three. My wife would have a fit if I brought the plague home. ;) Gotta love a well placed typo!

The one I fished in was a number of years back at MW shortly after I ended my employment with HCPD, it could've gotten better since then... it didn't help that I'm not much for bass fishing.

5. Plagues can be good. Locusts, Gadflies and toads are good bass baits:p

6. wax

wax

Thanks for the replies guys!

Looks like 1 vote for and 1 against, let's see if anyone else has an oppinion.

Appreciate the info on what you need to bring.

How do you sign up? First come, first serve basis?

Thanks again for the info

Wax

7. I never fished the tournaments but I fished the lakes. That is true, some of the best bass fishing in Ohio is on those lakes IF you know what your doing. At Miami Whitewater it's hard to beat a buzz-bait spinner bait combo.

8. OhioHuntr02

OhioHuntr02 OSU Fisherman

You can put me down for another vote "for." I enjoy fishing these tournaments and the lakes typically produce some pretty good bass.

9. soua0363

soua0363 Master of Nothing

They are not bad. Last year was my first year doing it and it was also my first year doing any form of tournament fishing. It was a good learning experience and it forced me to learn to slow fish like jigging. I do not look at it like I must win so I can pay my bills because I do not fish for a living. To me, its a fishing trip and if I happen to win something then thats a bonus.

10. What are the rental boats like ?

11. OhioHuntr02

OhioHuntr02 OSU Fisherman

12. imalt

imalt Banned

does anyone know if you have to use their boat or if i can use my kayak. I can rig something to keep the fish in

13. soua0363

soua0363 Master of Nothing

The boats are 14'-15' jons. They are not bad to fish out of but I do not know if you are able to use your own kayak. The entrance fee includes the rental fee.

14. I also fished the park and had a great time..and Neal Ramsey is a good man. doing a very good job...

..Larry

15. Does anyone need a partner for any of these tournies?

16. I haven't fished one in years but do fish MWW often. There can be a little confusion when everyone is hauling gear, motors, batteries, coolers, etc. back and forth but that's the participants responsibility to take care of. Neal does a good job with organizing the tournament.

Yes, take at least one trolling motor, recommend two for boat control
    90% sure that you must use their boats
    Since these are jon boats, you will need to bring a livewell of some sort
    Fish need to be alive when checked (no stringers permitted)
    Two poles per person
    Teams consist of two people but one can fish by themselves
    Live or artificals can used in all tournaments except Bass tourny which is artificals only

More info:
    Rules: http://www.greatparks.org/rec_fishing/tourney_rules.htm
    Tourny schedule: http://www.greatparks.org/rec_fishing/tourney.htm