close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hair Jigs...

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by ohio bass, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Hello,

One thing I havent used yet is a hair jig. Are they good for bass in any lakes in Northeast ohio. If so what brands, colors, would you choose? Also what type of stucture or cover should i be fishing these? Thanks for any info.

2. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

hair jigs are a great choice for many of NE ohio's waters.in clearer waters they can be swam and often resemble baitfish. they are also effective in the spring when many people opt for sythetic materials. they hold scent very well. you can fish nearly any cover, but i always perfer weed edges. as for brands i have none, i make my own. I perfer bear hair.

3. would they work at berlin in the rocks?

4. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

probably, you may want to get a joig head designed for rock presntations though, also, a ligher head is always nice for slower presentations.

5. thanks for everything, do you sell your jigs or just make them for a hobby? thanks again

6. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

just make them for hobby, materials cost too much for me start on my own. but it's pretty cheap to make a few. buy the jig heads, a patch or two of bear hair, and a cheap vice, along with thread, a bobbin and some head finisher.

7. Hey Johnboy, What colors seem to work the best for you?...JIM

8. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

The jigs I use are a combination of silicone and bear hair. Since I started using them I'll never go back to just silicone skirts.

9. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

I make my own jigs aswell. I use a regular roundball jig head in 1/8, 3/16 and 1/4 ounce.I flaten the roundball head in a vise and add stick on eyes. I use bucktail and add a few strands of rubber to them for action. They work great for smallmouth and a good finesse bait for largemouth. I usualy tip them with a pork frog.
    heres some colors

black hair/ blue rubber
    white hair/ red rubber
    brown hair/ orange rubber
    olive hair/ orange rubber

10. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

I mostly use black and brown, mostly natural shades. sometimes i'll time them with buck tail mixed in. in that case i use chartruese and oranges plus natural colors.

11. I like darker colors and use them when a fast fall will trigger bass to hit such as in reaction hits when falling past objects in the water where bass are in the ambush state of feeding. I like hair jigs that stand on end too and never use them alone but always with some kind of trailer and the trailer depends on how fast I want the jig to fall on lift which I seem to have more luck with quick 10-12" lift of the rod tip letting the jig fall with a tight line watching for any sign that the jig is falling diff or has been picked up... Trailers I use do not have to be dark I'll use light colors for trailers for some contrask but always a darker jig when using hair jigs...