Had Fish Stolen!!!

Discussion in 'Steelhead Talk' started by BIG JOHNSON, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BIG JOHNSON

BIG JOHNSON Capt.

:mad: Went to the Grand on Saturday with a buddy for some steel action. We started at the 84 bridge area first. Ended up with 8 in the first hour, kept 2 females for eggs. We then decided to go above the train trestle to see if we could find a few more. But before that we dropped off the 2 that we had kept in the truck so we didn't have to drag them all over the place. On the way back up Chris said lets see if there still in the back of the truck, THEY WERE NOT!!! Some sorry, no good (blank) stole them out of the back of my truck. I just cant believe someone would do some thing like this! If they needed fish i would be more than happy to give em to them. But to take fish, this is a whole new low.

DO NOT leave anything and i mean anything in your vehicles, you just don't know what some people will steal.

It gives a whole new meaning to (steal)head

Thanks, Capt AL

2. Could be raccoons.,.. or bears... :D

Or jerks!

3. BIG JOHNSON

BIG JOHNSON Capt.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Went to the Grand on Saturday with a buddy for some steel action. We started at the 84 bridge area first. Ended up with 8 in the first hour, kept 2 females for eggs. We then decided to go above the train trestle to see if we could find a few more. But before that we dropped off the 2 that we had kept in the truck so we didn't have to drag them all over the place. On the way back up Chris said lets see if there still in the back of the truck, THEY WERE NOT!!! Some sorry, no good (blank) stole them out of the back of my truck. I just cant believe someone would do some thing like this! If they needed fish i would be more than happy to give em to them. But to take fish, this is a whole new low.

DO NOT leave anything and i mean anything in your vehicles, you just don't know what some people will steal.

It gives a whole new meaning to (steal)head

Thanks, Capt. AL

4. Thats a bummer!

It really sucks when you do have a fish and want to leave it but have to worry about some low-life stealing it. I often walk deep in the woods and (of course) don't want to haul a 10lb. steelhead around (my net, pole, and gear is enough). Especially, when like you said, if they asked you would be more than happy to catch/give them one!

I'm sorry to hear about your loss! :p

Seriously though.

At least you know you CAN catch one unlike obviously someone! :D

5. ParmaBass

ParmaBass Kiss The Converse

That's unbelievable!! Stealing a fish from someones car?? Did they take anything else?

6. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

Hard to believe what some people will do.

My bet is that it was someone that has never eaten them before.

7. That's horrible! But it doesn't surprise me. My guess is someone needed eggs. But I hope it was like Het said and it was "someone that has never eaten them before." Those things taste like crap, no matter how you cook them.

8. BIG JOHNSON

BIG JOHNSON Capt.

Nothing else was in the back of the truck, i know better than leaving anything of any value out in the open, but stealing a stealhead come on! If it's going to be like this i will quit going. Het im with you on the taste, i hope they go to take a big ole bite of those things, that will teach em! If they wanted fish, they could of had as many as they wanted, if they would of just asked. Heck i would show them how to catch them.

9. Dock Time

Dock Time Senior Member

It might not have been a person that took your fish....

10. OK, then, why did you keep them if that's your opinion of eating them? Let me quess: to keep the eggs and throw the fish away. Or the old "I kept them for someone else" routine, eh (ie: keep eggs and throw fish away). I think if someone stole them to eat they're a notch above someone who would keep fish for eggs and discard. Sorry if that wasn't your plan, but I've just observed one too many fish "zipped" for eggs left by friggin lowlifes this season...

You guys need to learn to cook fish is all I have to say. If you aren't too lazy they're great smoked...or cooked in salmon patty type recipes. Or learn to keep the right fish: a 17" silver fish is better baked than a larger, dark fish. Oh, that's right, the 17" fish doesnt have eggs :mad:

KODIAK

11. MuskieJim

MuskieJim Trophy Tamer

Steelhead is fantastic if you know how to prepare it properly. I soak it in milk and garlic overnight (the milk breaks down the fishy enzymes). Then I put a cajun dry rub and either cook them directly on the grill or place the fillets in aluminum foil with a little butter. Delicious. And I'm with you Kodiak, you keep it for eggs, you should probably eat it. Good sportsmanship.

12. PapawSmith

PapawSmith Bud n Burgers

Spaniel is right, they were certainly Steelers. Probably from Pittsburgh, downtrodden, feeling regected, looking for any kind of easy meal that won't be yanked from their grasp just before it's ready! :D But seriously since this seems to have morphed into a "If you keep em cook em" thread, go to Home Depot and buy a couple of those wire fish cooking frames that sandwich the fish. Filet your steelhead and put them in the holders. Cook them on the grill, hot, flip them about every minute for about 8-9 minutes and baste them each time you flip them with melted buter, lemon juice, a little vinegar, and whatever kind of spices you like. It is as good as ANY fish you have ever ate. After you take their eggs......consume their carcass.... it's only right plus they're delicious.

13. BIG JOHNSON

BIG JOHNSON Capt.

Kodiac, No matter what i do with the fish it is my business. I would suggest watching who you call a low life, last i checked i have'nt done anything to you or anyone else for that matter. I think the last time i looked at my fishing license it never stated that if i keep a fish that i have to eat it. In the last 4 triips we've caught around 125 stealhead, and out of those we kept 6. Is that OK with you??? I started this post to warn everyone to watch what they leave out, not to get lit up on how many fish i keep!!! Most that know me dont think im a LOW LIFE last time i check, or maybe they just dont tell me if they think so.

14. Kodiak and MuskieJim,
    Thank the Lord for people like you. I know a few good people, like yourselves, who love the taste of smoked Steelhead, fish patties, etc. I do keep the occasional female for the eggs. But, I absolutely hate the taste of them (Yes, I've had them every which way from people who insist that their recipe is different). I agree with both of you that you shouldn't keep the fish if the flesh is going to be wasted. Fortunately, those friends of mine are more than happy to take it off my hands. Does it really matter if I eat them or a friend does? I think not!

15. Fishaholic69

Fishaholic69 Fly Fishing Addict

haha he called you a low life! rofl. but anyways on a serious note I wouldn't keep it for just the eggs. I have even seen sucker fish gutted just for the eggs also and still think thats rotten even tho they are not a game fish I would of been more than happy to catch them instead of finding there opened carcass on the ground full of flies. glad I don't have to kill something just for its eggs to go fish. my eggs are made of glo yarn. guess I am a catch and release kinda guy. on the low life kick. maybe you aren't one at all but in a wasting fish kinda way you are one if you just throw the fish away and keep the eggs. if you give the fish away to someone fine but don't waste a perfectly good fish. just my opinion. oh as for the stolen fish. welcome to ohio! don't trust anyone

16. I'm pissed to read your fish were stolen :mad: Looks like keeping them loc -ked up is the only way. Lawn/leaf bags anyone ? Remember we're not all thieves , so take heart & some extra precautions. :F

17. GaryV311

GaryV311 Trout Hunter

Hey! :mad:

18. Fishaholic69

Fishaholic69 Fly Fishing Addict

i thought he was talking about me

19. HOORAAA!! Did any of you do gooders pay any attention to the drug dealers selling to your kids?? How Bout the the rest of the trash that hangs out around there???

I guess it's ok to steal legal fish that a guy paid for?? I know.."we need more gun control"..Hey...let's ban fishing while were at it!! It's no wonder things are so ******up!!

JMHO!!:)
    Happy Fishing!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.