close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Had a good hunt...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by vc1111, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Was out for about an hour and half this evening. Nothing was moving so just as the light was fading, I tried some pretty aggressive calling with the grunt call.

About 8 or 10 minutes later, after the light faded beyond what I consider good shooting light (about 10 to 12 minutes before legal shooting time ends), I had a buck come in.

He came in silently and I spotted him in the shadows about 20 yards away. The lighting was such that I couldn't make out the rack very well.

Next he move downwind of me and I mean directly downwind. I knew I'd be busted, but it actually took him a while to figure out that something was wrong. When he got nervous enough, he moved out into the open field about 50 yards away. The light in the open field was much better, so I threw up the binos and got a good look at him.

He was beautiful, maybe a 140 or so and I was pleased to have had an encounter with a shooter this early in the bow season.

I'll be looking forward to possibly getting another crack at him.

Pictures to follow...I hope.:D

2. NorthSouthOhioFisherman

NorthSouthOhioFisherman The Young Outdoorsman

Nice Hunt
    I was less fortunete tonight

3. Cool story...count your blessings that you atleast get to go out in the woods during the week. I spend the whole week stewing at work waiting for each weekend! Good luck the rest of the season! Hope you get him.

4. Thanks for your story but i have a few questions. Im a semi serious deer hunter. my time is split 50/50 with duck hunting. my question is what is a grunt call sequence? Is it a couple loud grunts follwed by short and soft vice versa or what. And how long is it? How much time in between sequences. Are these sequences just for grunt calls or can they apply to bleat cans. sorry for the question overload but im just eager to maximize my time in the woods since it is split. thanks in advance.

5. sporty

sporty OGF Team - Charter Member

Nice story! Get's you pumped up doesn't it??

6. Nice story! Just goes to show you- the big boys are lurking around where you least expect it... I saw 2 does 70 yds away last night. :(

7. You did the right thing and not take the shot. It's better to pass on a so-so to poor shot and spook him into not coming back to your stand site or wound him and eventually loose him to a slow death. By passing on him, and hopefully you didn't scare him to much, you may get another encounter with him later in the season. You obviously know now you have a very good buck in your woods.

8. Thanks, guys. It was a real thrill to just have one in the roundhouse for a few minutes.

Actually this year has started off very well for me. I've been lucky enough to take a doe and I've seen deer on about 1/2 of my hunts. Its hard to believe that the rut will be coming on in just a few weeks.

Last night, on the way to the stand, I noticed that the leaves are really starting to change colors fast and the corn is looking like its about ready to cut.

I got out a little late and it was almost too warm. I bumped two off their beds on the way to the stand and saw only one deer after that. The one that I saw offered no shot. It was creeping along inside the first row of the cornfield next to my stand. I was amazed at how quietly he could slip along without ruffling those standing corn stalks.

Other than that, I had one answer the call from about 80 yards away but he never came in.

quacker, as to your question...

I use primarily a very short, very soft note on the grunt call in the early season. When I mentioned that I called aggressively, I called a bit louder, a bit more frequently during a sequence and with a longer note after one or two short notes. In the early season, I might only use the call once or twice, maybe three times, during an evening hunt.

Later as we get toward late October,, I'll call every 15 to 30 minutes and start calling as soon as I get settled and the woods sounds "normal" again after I entered the stand. I've had great luck with a few short notes with a pause of about 5 to 10 seconds between followed by a very long note. I try this toward dark, during that special time just prior to the rut. It has pulled in bucks a number of times. I think it sounds like a direct challenge to them for some reason or other. Of course, I can't be sure of that, but I've had them come to the stand quickly and almost recklessly a few times. Now nothing works all the time, as you've seen with calling ducks, but that has worked for me.

I also rattle a lot during the pre-rut and rut. I have a set of nice sheds that I carry at all times. I've had situations in which a buck would only look my may after hearing the grunt call, but a little bit of rattling actually turned him in my direction a bit more. I've also had them come running under the stand after a rattling sequence. If you have a response from an animal while rattling, you'll want to have those horns with you all the time. Its a hoot and I get a kick out of even the average or smaller bucks coming in for a look after jingling those horns together.

I rattle the same way I use that grunt call. Sparingly or aggressively. During the rut, I don't hesitate to make a ruckus with the horns while shaking a tree limb to add a bit of realism. And from experience, I make sure the bow is up and ready to shoot afterward. Most of the time absolutely nothing happens...oh, but when it does, its a real thrill.

I'm sure others will chime in and share their calling tips too.

Hope that helps. I'm no expert, but I've enjoyed some success over the years.