Guns in school

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by reel, Aug 15, 2008.

1. I know a lot of OGFers have an interest in this subject. Hope it doesn't turn south. Just making a note here.

A Texas school district will let teachers bring guns to class this fall, the district's superintendent said on Friday, in what experts said appeared to be a first in the United States.

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSN1538661720080815

2. Gun control should be a class taught in school!

3. Rednek

Rednek "The Widow's Son"

Answered prayers....Amen

Finally, Some common sense measures to prevent large tragedies.

4. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

texas should be applauded for pioneering this policy. trained and certified armed teachers cant be a bad thing. well maybe for some punk with a chip on his shoulder. way to go texas.

5. ...."God" bless TEXAS, and America!

6. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

What happens when a teacher has a chip on their shoulder? Surely teachers are human too and they can be bad seeds.

Or when an innocent student accidentally gets shot and killed when a teacher is trying to shoot one of the aforementioned "punks"?

For what it is worth, I am posting this from work - a college campus in the downtown area of a major city. I am well aware of the risks. I just don't think that arming more people will be the fix so many people think it is. It is a band aid fix, it covers up the problem, but there is still some sort of systemic issue underneath that isn't being addressed.

7. symba

symba Kayak Conquistador

Yeah, more guns is the answer to less violence.

8. ezbite

guns arent going away. if i was a student i'd be very happy my teacher had a weapon when PO'd billy who just stole his daddys shotgun and has arrived at school looking to get some revenge because his girlfriend just dumped him. i bet you'd be glad the teacher was armed then. cameras and metal detectors are NOT the answer. if PO'd billy knows that someones going to shoot back, he just might rethink his idea of showing up with a gun at school. what about those who want shot? death by cop, we've all heard of them, should we let them just keep shooting till their out of ammo or the cops arrive?? NO WAY, arm some teachers and put an end to this senseless crap. people saying "yeah, more guns, thats the answer" well my friends, that is the answer. everything else we as a society have tried to do to stop school gun violence HAS FAILED.

9. seethe303

Only time will tell I suppose. I just don't feel like throwing more guns into the mix is the best answer to the situation. Teachers can be unstable too.

Like I said, I think there is an underlying society problem beneath all this gun violence. IMO we should address that instead of addressing the gun issue directly.

In my mind giving teachers guns is the same as a doctor treating the symptoms and not the disease itself. It might cause the patient's quality of life to improve for a while, but the disease is still there festering in their body and will eventually come back.

10. symba

symba Kayak Conquistador

Sure, it could be a good thing in a certain situation. But what if Billy and his friends plan to get the teachers gun and go on a rampage? What exactly is stopping Billy and his friend from walking up behind the teacher, knocking the teacher out, and stealing his gun? Then what? If Billy can plot to bring a gun to school and kill, then Billy can plan to knock his teacher out, steal their gun, and kill.

11. ezbite

i couldnt agree more, there are other major problems in our society and gun violence is a HUGE one. even so, id rather have a teacher (who we depend on to be stable) armed and able to defend them selfs and their class, as to being unarmed and helpless in that type of situation.

12. ezbite

when you carry a weapon, you are in a higher alert zone. to a properly trained person, what you suggest is a LOT easier said than done. lets keep in mind also, the state of texas is not arming all of it teachers. these teachers will have to be quailfied to carry these weapons and im sure their not going to do it on their hip in a fast draw holster.

13. seethe303

when you carry a weapon you may be in a higher alert zone, but I would wager that doesn't apply to nearly all people carrying weapons out there. This is one reason I have issues with this program.

I would say that while the good people here on OGF are very careful and intelligent when it comes to gun use/ownership, they don't represent the majority.

14. My only question for those who disagree is what prevents those that are unstable from bringing in weapons in the first place. I don't see where adding a gun would make normally stable and responsible teachers unstable murderers. I will agree with the possibility of a student meaning harm to make an attempt to grab a gun from a teacher but as has been stated, Most who carry guns live their lives in a higher state of awareness. As well those teachers who are armed need to take positive steps to keep their weapons concealed, so that a student that would attempt such a thing could not tell the armed teachers from the unarmed ones.

15. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

I think it's a good thing for obvious historical reasons.

16. Teacher's guns could have a safety device that would allow the weapon to be only fired by the operator using a coded access unlock.

17. My favorite article.

18. Speaking from a standpoint of 13 years of juvenile justice, working with felony level offenders mostly...

allowing teachers to carry into school is as intelligent as criminalizing marijuana.

To ME.... it is repulsive and hyprocritical.

This is a loose- loose.

19. viper1

viper1 Senior Member

But what if Billy and his friends plan to get the teachers gun and go on a rampage? What exactly is stopping Billy and his friend from walking up behind the teacher, knocking the teacher out, and stealing his gun?

If Billy and his friends are going to kill someone they will find a gun. The idea of concelled carry is you are trained for safety, background checked and can shoot straight. Also people carrying guns are not going to let you know they have one, the idea is to suprise your attacker not warn them your carrying.
    That means when people think of doing something along these lines they have to wonder how many guns they are going to encounter, there for preventing a lot of trouble. If you keep guns away from the people only the real bad ones will have them. A gun has never killed anyone people do the killing and they dont have to have a gun.

20. viper1

viper1 Senior Member

Pitchnit you were right! That is one true artical. And I agree that is a must read. It may explain more than most people know.