close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

guestimating fish's wt. from a picture on OGF

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Banker, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Banker

Banker Banned

recently I have been very interested in the weights of fish that I have seen on pictures here. i have only ever weighed 1 fish (and it was with some cheap old rusted scale that had been in my friends tackle box) a larry about 5 lbs. so that is the only fish that i have a reference for (ultimately i just want to be able to predict accurately the size of the fish i catch so that i don't need to actually weigh it-I'm trying to build a library up there)i have asked about what other people thought (after telling everyone what i thought) and no one seems up for the challenge.

why do you think this is?

2. katfish

katfish Cats are where it's at!

Banker

I don't understand the challenge.

Small scales are affordable and compact. I would think that weighing fish would end the need to guestimate the weight and any challenges of the validity of your fishes weight.

3. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

ditto :confused: :confused: :confused:

4. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

I'll sure be glad when school starts again :p

5. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

:D why?are you anxious to graduate,or just tired of your summer job? :p :D

6. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Nah, just can't wait to get these kids back in class and off the computer Rick. Don't pay us enough to baby sit.

7. Banker

Banker Banned

you've got to be kidding me

8. It's next to impossible to estimate from a picture. Just take a guess.

I'd also purchase a small scale to take with you, if you ever want to weigh your own catch. The scale may not be exact, but it will give you a ball-park figure.

I don't see where the "challenge" is either, but I'm not really looking into it too much. ;)

9. Banker

Banker Banned

perhaps I wade a river/creek and carrying a scale is not always convenient

perhaps I want to save the fish the added stress of weighing it

10. A small scale weighs about 6 oz. If that's too much weight to add in your hike, well I guess you shouldn't worry about weighing them.

Hey Dale or misfit, do you guys have a date of when school is back in session? I want to mark it on my calendar!!! :D

11. Banker

Banker Banned

12. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

You can do a length & girth measurement and there's a formula that's pretty accurate.
    A small cloth tape is easy to carry. For a rule of thumb, for bass, 18" = 3#, 19" = 4#, 20" = 5#

13. Banker

Banker Banned

I'm glad someone here is taking me seriously.

14. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Yes, I try to be helpful... you young guys are our future. :)

15. Banker

Banker Banned

mrfishio, see above

16. So sorry... your WADE...WADE.

Takes a lot longer to measure all those stats on a fish. I know you mentioned stressing them too much...

I'd just get the scale.

As far as taking you seriously, I answered your question on guessing weights from pix. I offered you the alternative of taking a small scale with you. Sorry if that wasn't what you wanted to hear.

Time to fish...

17. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i too,think taking time and effort for measurements would be more stressful than simply weighing.there are plenty of small lightweight scales that would fit in your pocket.it would also save some writing and calculating the measurements,unless you're really good with formulas in your head ;)

carl,i'm hoping school starts soon,as my street is like an obstacle course,with all the bikes,scotters,skateboards and such :rolleyes:

18. Banker

Banker Banned

thanks misfit. i'm weighing the pros and cons. (no pun intended)

19. :confused:

Then don't wade or weigh fish. Just enjoy the sport of catching and releasing from shore. :) Most seasoned fishermen tend to overestimate the length and weight of fish. :rolleyes: Berkley sells a compact Boga type grip that has a tape built in and it sells for less than $20. This grip allows you to maintain control of the fish, in or out of the water so you will minimize the stress imposed as well as not remove or contaminate any of the protective slime.
    BTW......I also wonder what the challenge is? :confused:

20. Ultralight

Ultralight Crupi Wannabe

Buy a small scale and a measuring tape. Put in backpack when wading. Make quick measurements and quit estimating. Return fish gently to water.

Until you have enough experience, your estimates will not be accurate.

Plus it is really hard to estimate from a picture without an accurate frame of reference in the picture.

-Ultra