close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Grubs for smallies?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Rooster, Apr 8, 2004.

1. I’m primarily a tube guy when it comes to river smallies, but I think that I will be using grubs more this year. Does anyone have suggestions on grubs (color/brand)?

2. Phil Carver

Phil Carver Team Bass Xtreme

My favorite is a 4-5" yamamoto grubs ! :) I prefer about the same colors as I would fish with a tube . It always depends on what the water clarity is looking like .

3. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

A lot of hardcore smallie guys I know swear by Sliders. I bought a bunch a month or so ago, plan on throwin a few tonight.

4. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

3'' pumpkinseed power grubs, but you cant beat MAX Tubes for river smallies!

5. Thanks for the input! I just ordered some 4” GYBC grubs in 031.

I did an Internet search for MAX tubes, but did not find anything. Just curious because I have never heard of them. I’m sold on snoozer’s, but always willing to try something new!

6. Also, try twin-tail grubs in the usual crayfish imitation colors:cool:. I like them as a multipurpose bait when I'm traveling real light; they work well with faster retrieves or skipped across the bottom like a tube. I think the ones I usually buy are made by Zoom but that's only because those are the only twin-tails I can usually find.

Steve

7. Flipp

Flipp Bass Chaser

site is ohioprolure.com

8. EDD

EDD BASS BUM

90/10 I use kalin grubs over tubes (smoke,blue pearl,red,dark green,char) for smallmouth, I like the fat 5" body, I can't stand to let a tube just set,unless I know there's fish there that will bite

9. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Livin' the moontime

Try the Ika from GYCB too. Not quite a tube...not quite a grub. Stream smallies just pound these things.
    EH

10. JakeFr5150

JakeFr5150 Mr. Bug Rod

I don't use soft plastics for Smallies nearly as much as others - Don't seem to have alot of luck with them. I lose more jigheads than I catch fish. Anyway, I always just have luck with 2" Mister Twisters in White or Purple. If water is kinda murky, I'll up it to 3". Usually use a 1/32 ounce jighead w/ 2" and 1/16 ounce with 3". I had also used MadMan Craw tubes too and had alot of luck with those too. I just don't like using soft plastics. Prefer to use Rebel Teeny Wee Craws instead - Firetiger and Texas Red work good for me, but I also have been using a Chrome one too with alot of sucess.

11. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Well if you can get me away from tubes, my next soft plastic choice is big fat 4"-5" Kalin grubs...deadly!!

Nice to see ya still chasin the smalies Rooster,

Scott

12. Glad to see that you found the site Scott! I’ve been eyeballing a few bodies of smallie water out your way.

I will get some Kalin grubs and some Ika’s. I have just heard too many good things about both not to give them a try!

13. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

If ya want to head up my way this summer for some wadin..give me a shout and i can show ya some prime areas.

Scott