close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Groundhogs are stupid!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by AndroDoug, Jul 9, 2005.

1. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

About a week ago, I had a post asking what is the best bait to trap a groundhog. People replied with apples, beans, lettuce etc. I now have caught 3 nuissance groundhogs by my back shed. The first time I baited the trap with sliced apples. They sat for 3 days and got brown. I was about to give up and I saw the trap door sprung one day. Low and behold, I caught a little hog. None of the rotten apples were eaten.

I set the trap out again, this time with string beans. Again, it sat untouched for about 2 days. Then I got another little devil! Well. I set it out again, this time with no bait because I didn't have any available. Wouldn't you know, I caught yet another one. I guess they like to walk into wire cages for no reason!

I'll keep it up! 3 groundhogs so far, with at least 2 more to go, probably more. The most I ever saw at one time was 5. Thanks everyone for the help! I am having fun checking my trap every day! It is giving me yet another reason to look forward to getting home from work!

It sure is funny how they like to chatter their teeth as a "warning". Like I am scared! They are behind a wire cage and can't get out. The last one I caught was a little bigger than the first 2. It had a large area of hair missing on its backside. It looked alot older, maybe the matriarch? Well this one wasn't as calm as the other 2 I caught. This one kept slamming into the sides and trying to push it's way out. It bloodied up it nose pretty good trying to get out. The first 2 were laid back. Actually the second one was on its back belly up when I first found him. I thought he was dead! Well, he woke up when I picked the cage up. How can he sleep at a time like that? :confused: :p

2. No wonder so many end up as road pizza :p

Steve

3. peon

peon account delete

i have shot at groundhogs before and look outside 15 min. later and he'd be out again.. come on ... if someone shot at me and missed id stay in for a day or two... lol....

4. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

You know what they say. "Theres a place for all of Gods little creatures- Right next to the mashed potatoes!" LOL :p Raider

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  5. I remember when I hit my first groundhog. I was towing my boat out to the Muskingum, took a back road. I saw the little turd go towards the road and I slowed, he stopped so I went and he went.......and I heard a bump :rolleyes:

6. AndroDoug

Incredible...

After I caught the first little guy today, about 5pm or so, I put the trap back out, again with no bait. Wouldn't you know it, I check it before it gets dark, I'd say about 7:30 or so, and I see the trap door down again! Sure enough, there is a 4th ground hog in it! Only 2 hours after I retreived the 3rd one! I mean, come on! I didn't realize how dumb they actually are! I can't believe they haven't been naturally selected out. Well, I guess you could call what I am doing would be "naturally selecting".

I am trying to humanely trap them and not kill them. But the more this goes on, I realize that they do not deserve to live. When soemthing is THAT stupid, it has got to go.

7. Banker

Banker Banned

out of curiosity, what purpose do groundhogs serve in our ecosystem?

8. AndroDoug

Eagles, Hawks, Wolves, Cougars, Bobcats, and other COOL animals gotta eat too! I would venture to guess that is what God had intended!

9. They burro in the ground eating worms, bugs, plants, small rodents.

10. What are you doing with these ground hogs that you catch?

11. I usually feed the buzzards when I get them.:D

I caught one in a large conibear in my barn a couple of years ago. This little guy had sat there and watched me set the trap and then stuck his nose out before I had even walked away. The young pups are incedibly clueless at first. The older ones develop a pretty good awareness over time.

The rubbed spot that you saw on the one is quite common on them. I see a lot of them that way.

12. AndroDoug

RWBlue... I have a magic cloth that I use to cover the trap. I say a few magic words, then whip the cloth off and they are gone. Then I reset the trap for the next one.

Nice try blue. :rolleyes:

13. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

Why, you invite the neighbors over for a groundhog flinging contest- you grab 'em by the back legs, take three good spins and FLING 'em!!! Kind of like the discus but furrier.

They make a dull "thump" when they land. :p

UFM82

Groundhog Flinging Champion '89

14. Hmm, I don't care if you kill them (that is what I have always done 223rem 222rem 45acp). But I have not sure why anyone would deport them from their property.

If you have decided to catch and release, do it on state property. Most farmers I know would shoot you, if you released a groundhog on thier property.

15. That is a very good point. I am not sure what legal implications there would be for someone releasing them on other people's property. But I do know that I would be very upset with someone putting them on my property. I work diligently to keep the numbers of them down. I guess the best advice to give is to continue to use that magic cloth.;)

16. dip

dip dip

a veritable HOUDINI i should say! i knew where his holes were and one time while mowing i managed to catch him between all 3 known holes..... problem was a tree between me and him.... dagnabbed if he didn't FAKE LEFT and when i bit he WENT RIGHT! no baloney!

17. peon

peon account delete

id be happy to see someone letem go on my parents property!!! :D :D gives me something fun to do!! lol you know what i mean!!!

18. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

I think they,re refered to as PRAIREE POOTLES out there. Greasy littles buggers. ;) Raider

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015