Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Uber Tuber
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went below the spillway this evening got 2 nice saugeye 17" each and 7 smallies, all smallies were small except for one @ 15". All fish were caught on a 1.5" rebel craw, and were caught around the north end of the frisby golf course. was bare leg wadding.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Was on the river myself tonight, I was trying to get in a little surface action but struck out, threw a Rapala floating minnow for a bit as well with the same results, oh well theres always next time.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
FLT Tube, we were fishing at Griggs last night and saw someone float tubing near the Hayden Run bridge, thought maybe it was you.

·
Uber Tuber
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Went below the spillway
not me @ hayden run, see above. Chopiq, were you the one asking the hvac questions needeing gauges?

Smallmouth crazy: were you below the spillway w/2 teenagers? if so that was me wading out on the jetti in front of you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
FLT tube- I love fishing there.....was is the best way to get strikes with a craw? As far as the best retrieval method......Thanks in advance.

·
Uber Tuber
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FLT tube- I love fishing there.....was is the best way to get strikes with a craw? As far as the best retrieval method......Thanks in advance.
I started out w/a 3" craw(yellow & brown) and got one smallie. went to the 1.5"(orange & brown) I would through it out just bellow the rip-rap, starting out w/a fast retrieve to get it to the bottom, once I felt the bottom I would slow the bait down just enough that I could still fell the vibration from the bait and still bouncing it off the bottom. The closer it got to dark it was like every other cast with a hit. I was only down there from 7-9:30pm. hope this helps.

·
Banned
2,976 Posts
All I ever catch there is other people's fishing line...and rocks.

I find that area to be way overfished, crowded and full of trash.

Nice work. Way to catch em...

·
Uber Tuber
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
there is alot of trash in that area I think I could build a house out of all the stirafoam worm containers down there. That area is hit hard and I'd rather go a little bit further down stream, but due to time restraints its close since I live on the west side of the river and it only takes me 3min to get there.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
That used to be a great stretch but now that the only real points to fish are by the frisbee golf course, everyone really hits that area hard. Before they built those apartments, houses, and condos, you could easily fish all the way down to 5th with no problem. Its a different story now. Good job on getting some fish down there, its kinda sad what has happened to that area.

Jake

·
Uber Tuber
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you can still go down to fifth but you have to float it, boat or yak. I stoped by today and last nights rain did not seem to affect water levels witch is good. I'm going to try to take my crawdad down next tuesday and launch from the frisby golf course, hopefully my battery will take a charge.

·
Mad SOT YAKER!
1,999 Posts
Looks like the rain messes up the local rivers, they were just getting perfect!!! But why does the Darby not get affected as bad, its still normal flow, no spike like rest of rivers, is it because its watershed is farmlland and no upstream impoundment?

·
Uber Tuber
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks like the rain messes up the local rivers, they were just getting perfect!!! But why does the Darby not get affected as bad, its still normal flow, no spike like rest of rivers, is it because its watershed is farmlland and no upstream impoundment?
you hit the nail right on the head Mike. no parking lot runoff or man made dams. just a natural river.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
FLT.. I used to fish that area alot..... We used white spinner baits and white buzz baits... Didn't get any real big smallies by the course.... Down farther we caught some nice ones... If the river is up alittle with more current you can do better.... Just my 2 cents....

GarryS

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
not me @ hayden run, see above. Chopiq, were you the one asking the hvac questions needeing gauges?

Smallmouth crazy: were you below the spillway w/2 teenagers? if so that was me wading out on the jetti in front of you.
No that wasnt me I wasnt even below the dam, sounds like maybe I should have been though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts